What's new
What's new

FR-SF alarm 23 excessive error

Captdave

Titanium
Once in a while the spindle will have trouble changing speeds, the load meter goes to 100% and sounds like the spindle and drive are fighting each other. Sometimes its only for a second or 2 then runs fine other times it will keep doing it till it alarms out with 23 on the spindle drive and 56 on the main board.

When it alarms out the only way to clear it is to shut down the control and restart then runs fine.

Any thoughts?

QT-8
T32-B

Hi Dave,

Sounds like it could be the beginning of the end for your spindle drive.:(

Your T32 will have an FR-SF drive. This drive has 1 main circuit board, the SF-CA. MEAU charges about $700 to rebuild this board. About $150 I think to test it for you.

Of course one of the big transistors in the base of the drive could be going bad. If you are handy with electrical stuff, you can replace the base transistors yourself. They can be source cheap off Ebay...make sure to buy only brand new, and replace them all.

Another possibility on the FR-SF is one of the current-sensing transducers might be going bad. The drive has 4 of the "square-doughnut" shaped transducers, which feedback actual current running through the big wires. These are only about $60 ea. from MEAU.

MEAU gets about $2500 for a FR-SF drive rebuild. But, you can get them to rebuild the main board, replace the base transistors and current transducers yourself, and maybe save $1000 or so in the process.

Plus the fun and satisfaction of doing it yourself! (Unless of course you mis-connect just 1 of the many wires...:eek:)

Good luck,

Greg

if your not getting an overcurrent or overvoltage i would talk to mits about a hindge panel rebuild. might be some cheaper but i would get there opinion on the whole deal.
you know it could be PLG in the motor issues too.
chi. mits. 847-478-2500 see what they say

The hinge panel is the front panel on the FR-SF drive that swings out, with the SF-CA card mounted on it.

You have to remove the brown sheet metal cover to see the hinge panel and SF-CA card.

Juan from Mitsubishi recommended that I check the PLG feedback first and sent me the procedure.As soon as I find where PLG preamp board is I'll run the check.

in the square connection box on the spindle motor in the back
whats gonna happen is you open up that box and coolant is gonna pour out
get it dried up (power locked out of coarse)
and its gonna be all better my friend

or not

but you are allready getting the whole
life at the whim of my cnc deal

OK found the board and checked voltages as per the procedure.Here is where I'm at:

II. Adjusting PLG Using DMM
A. Perform Amplitude Adjustment
1. Open the spindle motor junction box and locate PLG Pre-Amp board (could have added its behind a steel strap) it wouldn't have taken so long to find!
2. Place DMM in AC voltage range
3. Connect negative meter lead to PGA/AGA on PLG Pre-Amp board
4. For Phase A- Connect positive lead to PA on PLG Pre-Amp board
5. Adjust VR2 so that the meter reads +1.0605 +/- 30 mVAC
6. For Phase B- Connect positive meter lead to PB on PLG Pre-Amp board
7. Adjust VR4 so that the meter reads +1.0605 +/- 30m VAC

Note: if you cannot adjust the potentiometers to reach these values, then the sensor gap must be adjusted. Move the sensor farther from the gear to reduce the Voltage and closer to gear to increase the voltage. If either PA or PB reads 0VAC then PLG is defective and must be replaced. The standard gap setting for sensor to detection gear is 0.152mm (.006in)

At step 4 I was able to adjust the pot to get the correct voltage for A phase. At step 6 its showing .5v and adjusting the pot no change.

Note says to adjust the sensor gap to .006" and repeat steps. Where the heck is the sensor?

sensor is a little deal about the size of a nickle reading a super fine tooth ring gear on the splindle motor shaft
can't recal if yours in in the same box your lookin' at or behind the cooling fan on the end of the motor (probly on end of motor).
fair chance the plg is bad
but thats a whole lot better than a bad spindle controller

I'll look when I come back from lunch. It seems odd that one pot will adjust and the other won't and although I'm not the brightest stick in the wood pile I have doubts that adjusting the sensor is going to help.

I have to leave this evening for a trip and would sure like to have something figured out so I can get parts on order if needed.

I have doubts that adjusting the sensor is going to help.

many sleepless nights and a bunch of crappy days leads me to suspect the same
if you don't scratch it all up i suspect mits will take the part back if it turns out you can adjust the old one. your gonna have to dig into either way. i'd get the new one on its way

Found the sensor at the end of the motor shaft cover. Finally got everything adjusted to specs and have the machine up and running again. The problem I was having was with the crappy photo and was checking voltage at the wrong test point.

I guess time will tell if this is going to help or not, keep your finger crossed;)

the following post is for mature audiences only
younger or more sensitive readers please look away

post #3

you know it could be PLG in the motor issues too.
chi. mits. 847-478-2500

ding! ding! ding! ding! ding! ding!

Ata boy Dave
make that mazak your bitch

Last edited:
Juan at Mits was very helpful in getting me test procedures for the areas that I could check on my own.

FR-SF PLG adjusting using DMM

FR-SF transistor check

SF-CA test and adjustment procedures

All of these are in PDF form and have really good color photo's with arrows pointing to specific test points, much better then the faxed ones I got first. Would have saved me a couple of hours if the faxed copy had shown the yellow arrow pointing to the proper test point. I'll be happy to share with anyone who would like them.

Due to time constraints I was only able to complete PLG test. The SF-CA test does require a scope that I don't have but I will do the transistor check if the problem persists.

The machine seems to be running fine now but since its an intermittent problem time will tell. My son will be running a bar job next week so we'll see how it does.

I was thinking on the flight last night it was only a few years ago the you guys were helping me get this machine up and running and guiding me through programming simple parts. Also just shows how little I do Know;)

Thanks again to everyone who has provided assistance over the years, couldn't have done it without you guys!

Back