What's new
What's new

Freqrol FR-SE (QuickTurn10ATC m/c) over voltage.

benganboll

Hot Rolled
My QT10ATC got alarm on the Freqrol FR-SE 2 times in 2 days.
Both times was in the morning (cold machine) and alarm leds indicates "OVERVOLTAGE (CONVERTER)"

Here is a description of the alarm:
OverVoltage.JPG

Anyone have any idea.
My gut fealing says its the big capacitors that is unable to accumulate the power generated by the converter during spindle break and the voltage is rising.
When machine is warmer the capacitors work better

Edit: LED17 is not lit when alarmed.

Efter Reading som threads here I will replace all the capacitors on the SE-101 board.
If that helps I will plan to do the same on my 2 other macines with FR-SE.

We had an problem with a Freqrol raising the incoming voltage during regenerative braking. The machine was designed to back-feed voltage onto the line and be absorbed by an isolation transformer. When we bought the used machine it did not have the transformer, 3 sets of power transistors later we figured it out.

Both times was in the morning (cold machine) and alarm leds indicates "OVERVOLTAGE (CONVERTER)"

Is the machine's internal main power transformer set to the correct incoming voltage? The voltage taps must be checked and re-strapped if necessary before even powering up the machine.

We had major problems with our 10N ATC when we first got it because the transformer was strapped for 460v and we were on 480v power. We did not know the transformer had multiple voltage taps.

Is the machine's internal main power transformer set to the correct incoming voltage? The voltage taps must be checked and re-strapped if necessary before even powering up the machine.

We had major problems with our 10N ATC when we first got it because the transformer was strapped for 460v and we were on 480v power. We did not know the transformer had multiple voltage taps.

I have to check that, I picked up the machine from Germany (to Sweden) and he did not speak english and I did not speak german but we somehow came to the conclusion that the power was the same in Germany as in Sweden.

Most likely your FR-SE drive is getting weak somewhere. Could be the SE-PW power supply, or SE-IO1 main board needing caps. Or a weak main power transistor in the base...source these via Ebay new if necessary.

Try slowing the accel/decel rates - which is done on the FR-SE by setting little dip switches a certain way. This will lower the regenerative current, and quite possibly solve your issue.

ON EDIT: I found the info for the accel/decel setting for FR-SE. On the SE-IO1, it is SW5, buttons 3-5.

For time constant 4: SW5-3 on, SW5-4 off, SW5-5 off

For time constant 6: SW5-3 off, SW5-4 on, SW5-5 off.

Try one of those combinations, the chart is in the MEAU maintenance manual for the FR-SE.

ToolCat Greg

The transformer taps sound like a plausible root cause.

Just a shot in the dark, but on the Fanuc drives, there is a large wire-wound resistor on the DC bus, across the smoothing capacitor.
When the resistor fails open, the "DC Link" voltage will run-away "Spindle Volt Excess" (in Fanuc terminology).
That happens because the purpose of the large resistor is to slowly drain the capacitor.

You could check the resistor(s) across those DC bus cap(s) with a multi-meter. If they aren't within 10%, it's a good sign they need to be replaced.

Here's the XFMR from some photos I took before re-tapping my QT-10N for 230v operation:
IMG_1436.jpgIMG_1446.JPG

Here is a description of the alarm:
View attachment 199476

Anyone have any idea.
My gut fealing says its the big capacitors that is unable to accumulate the power generated by the converter during spindle break and the voltage is rising.
When machine is warmer the capacitors work better

Edit: LED17 is not lit when alarmed.

Hi benganboll

did you get this sorted?
Im getting a similar error. I have healthy waveforms and changed the caps at christmas.

Anything specific you found?

Cheers

Mick

Back