What's new
What's new

Generating full nose radius od grooving sequence

aerowizard

Plastic
Hello, I am currently tasked to make some grooves! Usually quite simple, however I can not get rid of the chatter. So to avoid all the nonsense leading up to this, I'm looking to figure out how to generate a full nose radius balance groove on the OD. \

Starting diameter is .263, finish diameter is .22, groove width accordingly is .059 and needs to be a .04 Radius in the middle. I've tried using a .08 wide FNR penta 34, and I think its causing too much tool pressure at 3" away from the chuck. I am using a tailstock with 100psi pressure on the front end with a #2 center in the front of the part.

Is there a way to use lets say a .04 wide x .02FNR phorn od groove tool, to generate this? When I've tried, it usually comes out with 2 radii in the groove and a peak in the middle of it as well at the bottom. Looks neat, but its not what the customer wants.

Thank you in advance!

How do you fit a 0.08 wide tool in a groove that is 0.059 wide? For that matter, how does a 0.04 radius go in a where a 0.0295 radius is all that will fit in a 0.059 wide groove.

From your numbers I get that your groove needs to look like this below.
If true , no, can not be done with any FNR tool as clearing the corners impossible as this not a full radius groove.
If I am wrong (which I usually am), print or drawing please.
That wall only .0085 tall so if one cheated some tolerances on all cuts and rad size.
You have a tailstock and say the cut 3 inch off chuck but how long is the part overall?
Bob

Attachments

• groove.jpg
    groove.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 39
How do you fit a 0.08 wide tool in a groove that is 0.059 wide? For that matter, how does a 0.04 radius go in a where a 0.0295 radius is all that will fit in a 0.059 wide groove.

Sir, I'm not burying that tool to its full width amount. You can use a .08 FNR groover to achieve a .059 simply by not allowing it to go past .059 worth of its width.

There should be no flat walls in the groove. I will get a picture up shortly so yall can see the groove itself. This is not an easy task, but i know it can be done.

Back