What's new
What's new

Has anyone got a grip on Approach points in Mazatrol (lathe)? Please enlighten me.

Panza

Stainless
Although I have read the programming manual there seems to be no good explanation on how to set the approach points when programming a milling unit on a lathe with live tools.
First: What does the numbers/coordinates of the AP's relate too ? It'd not coordinates as in the rest of the program that I can see.
Second: How do you figure out how you set them manually.
I'd say this is the problem I have the most often when programming.

I use them every now and then. They work quite well when needed. I am not in the shop now, but will get back later.

To manually approach and the way a tool exits a part is controlled by TCP (Tool Path Control).
TCP is only functional in Mazatrol, not a MMP program.

First be in program/edit mode
On the soft keys press TCP
By default its in automatic so by editing the fields your changing the way it approaches and exits.

In the program book look for TCP

Give me an example of what you would like to modify ?

I'll have a look in the TPC part of the programming book.
I am just wondering what the numbers of the approach points mean / where they measure to/from.
I'll dig up a Mazatrol program where I have not been able to get the milling to work at all due to an approach point error.

The X values that you choose to input will be machine position values, the Z values are determined by your program offset, relative to the face of your part. You must first change from "AUTO" to "MANUAL" in order to input the X and Z values. Be careful, you have change points for both rough cutting and finish cutting, approach and escape.

Last edited:
To manually approach and the way a tool exits a part is controlled by TCP (Tool Path Control).
TCP is only functional in Mazatrol, not a MMP program.

First be in program/edit mode
On the soft keys press TCP
By default its in automatic so by editing the fields your changing the way it approaches and exits.

In the program book look for TCP

Give me an example of what you would like to modify ?

I am pretty sure you mean TPC, not TCP. Not to be a picky shit, but I was taught that TPC actually stands for Temporary Parameter Change, as you are simply temporarily changing the parameter for the process in which the TPC has been changed.

TPC = "Tool Path Control" according to the manual.

I looked in the manual under TPC and I I have to clarify what I meant: I meant the approach points that are for milling units. Those that are in the unit itself and not in TPC. The numbers there makes no sense to me. They are definitely not machine coordinates.

TPC = "Tool Path Control" according to the manual.

I looked in the manual under TPC and I I have to clarify what I meant: I meant the approach points that are for milling units. Those that are in the unit itself and not in TPC. The numbers there makes no sense to me. They are definitely not machine coordinates.
Thanks for straightening that out for me. Evidently,my tutor got it wrong. I never checked the book. Temporary parameter change makes sense, but go by the book.
With a value of 10 (inches) in the X approach point, and a value of 1 in Z, the cutting tool moves to those points and then approaches the workpiece along its normal path. I used it about a week ago for a turning process. I don't know if I can post a short video, but I will try.

I am pretty sure you mean TPC, not TCP. Not to be a picky shit, but I was taught that TPC actually stands for Temporary Parameter Change, as you are simply temporarily changing the parameter for the process in which the TPC has been changed.

That was just a type-O on my part
It is "TPC" meaning "Tool Path Control.

I am just wondering what the numbers of the approach points mean / where they measure to/from.

I believe you looking at the turret rotation locations as represented 0 thru 6, these numbers are not measurements just locations.
I only use 0,4and 6 rotate locations

Back