What's new
What's new

Help with Inspecting a used Integrex and some other questions about integrexes

Ianagos

Stainless
Hello there guys. I’ve been in need of a lathe since I sold my SQT and the other one. My plan was to pick up a QTN Msy but those bad boys are pretty pricey and for not much more I can get into the same era of Integrex machines which are better for what I do anyhow. (Low volume turning typical with a few milled features) That is what has gotten me here

So I am new to the world of Mill turn centers but I know I like Mazak and mazatrol and I have great support through Mazak tech center about 45 minutes away.

My question is what should I look for when inspecting this machine? I know some of the basic stuff to check like ways and backlash etc. but I also know an integrex is a very complex machine that I know very little about.

Also curious on pricing and would like forum members opinions on a mk4 vs trying to move to an I series machine.

The mk4 machines I’ve seen go for around 120k for one with sub and lower turret.
The very few I series I’ve seen are around 230k with just a sub

While I’ve seen the build structure and think the I series makes more sense as far as the y axis and x axis layout they are a lot more money. I’m a very small shop so money is a key factor for me as I would have buy a cheaper lathe and have to wait for an I series or take out a loan vs I could probably get a mk4 right now and be done with it.

I am going to look at an mk4 integrex next week and that’s why I ask about the inspection and what should I check.

So guys opinions? Anybody out there selling one of these machines? I would much rather buy from a private seller rather than a dealer but I haven’t found many private seller with these machines and if I do they are ask more than the dealers.

Lastly I almost forgot. Are there any known or common issues with integrexes or reasons I should look for a different machine?

Anyone have any info on Integrex machines? I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can about them but I haven’t been able to find all that much about them.

I've never owned an Integrex, but have read they are easy to knock out of alignment, and are a pain to re-align.

The bulbous size of the machining head makes it difficult to access part features close to the chuck...so creativity is required.

If the machine has the Nexus 640 control, they are known to suffer hard drive failures, so be prepared for that.

ON EDIT: Mazaks utilize Mitsubishi electronics, and thus MEAU in Chicago or Jersey can be quite helpful over the phone with electronic issues.

As with any Mazak, parts are available, but ARE NOT cheap.

Good luck, and keep us posted what you find.

ToolCat

Oldest I’ve been looking at is mk 4 machines with matrix controls.

Machine also has a lower turret to avoid some of the issues of getting too close to the Chuck but it does prevent the head from traveling down there.

I did own a Mazak before and always had good luck with Mazak service. Parts are very expensive.

Now machine alignment I can imagine will be painful and on a 13 year old machine I know something will probably be out.

I spent hours and hours getting my super quick turn turn lined up and on centerline. Between different boring bar holders I still never got it perfect.

We do alot of machine inspections including mk4 integrex. I would check mill spindle with a test bar for run out that is close to the most expensive item on it. send me a PM and we can go over some other things to check alignment wise that can be a pain to fix.

I checked it out basically without any measuring equipment really and it seemed to be fine. Definitely had a hard knock in the sheetmetal on the main spindle side and some other strange damage on the z axis cover that opens to the tool changer.

Mill spindle was replaced in house a couple years ago and looks and sounds great.

Overall the machine ran well and the parts they were running looked good.

Backlash comp numbers were very low but I did not check backlash with an indicator.

X2 axis had some noise in the ballscrew but still sounded fine especially compared to the fadals Im used to.

So guys what the value on a 100iv st with no tooling and no barfeed?

Back