What's new
What's new

Help rigging and moving sqt18

cgmaster

Cast Iron
I just bought a sqt18 and do not have the manual that shows how to rig and move the lathe. Does anyone have info for this. They are loading it at the shop I bought it from. I just have to get the information to the riggers I have here to unload the machine and move it.

Unfortunately the riggers here have never moved cnc equipment. South Mississippi doesn't have many machine shops, especially with cnc machines apparently.

I have moved a few manual lathes before but never a cnc lathe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
John

Well my door is 10x10. Outside is hard dirt. And not level. Thinking about setting one side in the door on skates and the other on timbers. Then move the forklift to the endoctor to lift it off of the timbers and push it in till I can put the other set of skates under the headstock. I just want to make sure I can lift on those sides. I have only moved smaller manual lathes before which I could lift with my front end loader. I just don't want to drop it or damage anything.

Block the turret so it can't move in the X direction. If it has a pendant secure it so it doesn't bounce around. Tape every door or removable panel shut, sure beats driving down the highway looking for the one that fell off.

Sqt lathes are impossible to crane-lift without an extra part that is bolted on the casting, under the chuck.It is removed after installation, because its huge and propably belongs to mazak technicians.In case you find it, you can use ropes to lift the machine.
There are two more lifting points, on the back of the MACHINE BASE, one under the turret and the second one between the electric cabinet and the spindle.Moreover you have to strip some covers to gain access to these points...Obviously the machine has to be moved with a forklift.At least a 5t one, with long forks, cause the machine is wide enough and the weight is not evenly distributed...

You'll need more than a 5 ton forklift. I borrowed a 13,500 lb capacity forklift from my buddy to unload my sqt18ms. First grab had the machine about 6" from the back of the forks and it lifted the ass of the forklift off the ground. Got a better grab and it handled it but just barely. Scared me shitless the whole time thinking I could drop my baby. I hired riggers to move it to my shop from my dad's. That stuff ain't for me!

You'll need more than a 5 ton forklift. I borrowed a 13,500 lb capacity forklift from my buddy to unload my sqt18ms. First grab had the machine about 6" from the back of the forks and it lifted the ass of the forklift off the ground. Got a better grab and it handled it but just barely. Scared me shitless the whole time thinking I could drop my baby. I hired riggers to move it to my shop from my dad's. That stuff ain't for me!
Moving my vqc20/40 last time we had a 7t fork and we had 4 people sitting on the ass off it for more counter weight [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Mazak is rigging it on the shippers end when they unload the new machine. I just needed to be able to unload it here.

Thank everyone for their help. Can't wait to get this thing up and running.

Make sure they include leveling pads, and original brackets, also there is a special angled plate that mounts to the turret to place a level on (you can use Z axis linear guides)

They had all the original securing brackets and machine pads but They do not have a leveling plate. Is the plate necessary? I would think I could true the machine up the same basic way I would a manual lathe. I did watch a few youtube videos LOL Seems pretty straight forward.

the plate us just a place to set your level.
on that machine you can use the tailstock way for rough level and then a big wad if clay or a home made bracket on the turret to do your back and forth twist tests

I've never, ever, seen a used machine with the original leveling bracket. They must all be in some black ops warehouse along with the remote for my DVD player.

I just have a piece of angle that I use as a generic bracket. There's always something on the turret you can bolt to.

I've never, ever, seen a used machine with the original leveling bracket. They must all be in some black ops warehouse along with the remote for my DVD player.

I just have a piece of angle that I use as a generic bracket. There's always something on the turret you can bolt to.

Hmmm One man shop here and I do have every bracket that my machines came with when i bought them.

Back