What's new
What's new

Help setting chuck positions on QT6 - 640T

andehe

Plastic
Hi,

We purchased a QT6 with 640T control recently and everything seems to work. We have not done much yet, just messed around with creating some programs. We wanted to run some programs left on the control and the facing bar operations shown by everything CNC on youtube.

Its not clear to us how to change the hydraulic chuck position/diameter operated by the foot pedal. It seems to move from 1.4 close -1.5" open. What if we want to clamp a smaller part say 1"?

I can see the M codes for opening and closing, and not ready for that yet. Perhaps Philabuster will have a video on this?

I only have the electrical manual for this machine and have clicked through a few operational manuals for similar lathes, but haven't seen anything helpful yet

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I like to set a boring bar and bring it down inside of the (open) jaws near the diameter they need to be set to.Gives an easy visual marker for syncing them up.

That makes life very easy, but if you're lucky the serrations might be easy to count and not even need to do that. You can also make witness marks with a scribe if you have several positions that you will use regularly.

I like to set a boring bar and bring it down inside of the (open) jaws near the diameter they need to be set to.Gives an easy visual marker for syncing them up.

That makes life very easy, but if you're lucky the serrations might be easy to count and not even need to do that. You can also make witness marks with a scribe if you have several positions that you will use regularly.

Or a laser on a magnet.

Next problem. I am following the following touch off video YouTube
The above video is fairly self explanatory for how to touch off tools, when everything works.

The tool eye register contact in x and z, but the MSR Unit OFF button (on the screen) is only highlighted when the tool eye is in its home position.
Pushing MSR UNIT ON button doesn't change state. Also we get a alarm 235 (can't move tool eye with front door open while setup switch is on 0) but this is weird as we can move the tool, with door open and setup switch in 1.

We didn't get keys with the machine and there are black marks telling the user to keep the machine with setup switch 0. We are wondering if the previous user has modified the logic to override a safety.
Also, is the tool arm on a 2000 QT6 640t supposed to move in an automatic fashion when the button is pressed? The machine we got is pretty basic, no tailstock or other options. Suggestions? My knowledge regarding mazak lathe operation is limited as obvious in my first question

Last edited:

Back