What's new
What's new

How to clear a 264 alarm ???

rockfish

Titanium
My Mazak QT15's chip conveyor has been running a little warm, but nothing I was too worried about. Today, we felt the motor and it was getting a little hot. We heard a slapping noise....I actually thought my coworker was hitting the barrel with a piece of barstock....until I noticed him coming toward the conveyor with a look of concern on his face and realized that the conveyor belt wasn't moving. I reversed it, assuming something had got caught in there, and then a breaker tripped inside the machine and stopped everything.

I now have a 264 alarm. I need help pinpointing where the breaker is for this and ideas on clearing the alarm. Then, I'll figure out what's hanging up the conveyor. Still not sure if the motor regularly runs warm......or if this was a warning that something was getting ready to go wrong.

Any help ???

Thanks,

Frank

Mine is a little older control, but when my chip conveyor gets stuck, the blue button on one small contactor relay needs to be reset in the electrical cabinet. You will hear a 'click' when the coil energizes the contactor again. Go to control and hit reset to clear alarm.

Sounds like the chip conveyor belt needs to be tightened up. If too loose, they will bind up on the sprockets and trip the overload.

Also, anytime you hit the e-stop, you will need to manually extend and retract the tailstock quill. The 264 alarm sounds familiar to that one.

The alarm will likely clear upon hitting RESET after you reset the overload on the motor starter.

Just go in there and start pushing the O/L resets 'till you find it. :D

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Here is what a contactor looks like. There will be about 5 of these or more in the control cabinet. One of them controls the chip conveyor, one for coolant pump, and so forth.

Push the blue button on ALL of them and one will reset. The others will not be tripped and pushing the blue button will not harm them.

Again, there is high voltage in there. Be careful what you touch. Real easy to get zapped touching anything shiny. :eek:

Attachments

• Mazak Contactor.JPG
    Mazak Contactor.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,651
contactors on those 18 class machines are behind a hindge panel on the right side of control cabinet

Thanks guys for the help. I found the contactor and got the machine running again.

My conveyor motor is still running hot. I adjusted the bearings on the end of the conveyor so that they were even and putting what I felt to be adequate pressure on the
belt. I straightened the chain pulley so everything was running as close to being in line as possible...and the motor still runs hot.

It may be that the motor is on it's way out, needs new bearings, etc..

Frank

Last edited:
try sticking a wad of newspaper in it backwards to help chase out the junk in the bottom of conveyor

every one hates doing it because of coolant drag off, but i say all conveyors need to run all the time. letting chips build up just makes a bad thing worse

p.s.
i hate all chip conveyors

You may want to dbl check that it is wired for the right voltage. ???

Ass_u_ming that this is just an AC 3 phase motor. ???

Could pull the cover off the motor and see which wires are tangled together. There should be a warring diagram on the motor or inside the cover. You can check the voltage back at that contactor inside the cabinet w/o having to take apart any of the connections to make sure the wiring and the voltage agree.

If you were running 480 on a motor warred for 240 it will run hot. The other way around usually just makes them gutless. I doubt that it would be hot tho.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Aside from Ox's idea of making sure the motor is wired for the correct voltage, you can make sure nothing is binding the conveyor belt. Unhook the motor chain and rotate belt manually, using a wrench or the like, to check.

If it is a Jorgensen conveyor, it seems I recall them motors just run hot. Later models had sheet metal covers over the motor to counter that problem.

As far as how often to run the chip conveyor??? Like Confuscious say: tis' better to lose a little coolant every day than fight a jamed-up conveyor...

Catman

Old thread, but I'm having similar issues.

What are the parts numbers for these contractors/heaters? I think I need to replace a few.

S-K10 for the contactor, can't quite make out the o/l.

Might be TH-K12.

Back