What's new
What's new

How would you program this large radius, on a small part?

aerowizard

Plastic
I've yet to figure out how to program this type of behavior. I am using Mazatrol Fusion 640T on a QT-250 from like '87. Can someone give me some values or a picture of how they would program this radius? The start/finish points in "X" is .175". Hopefully someone can help, I need 30 of them and nobody here can figure this little guy out. Thanks in advance!20211028_065453.jpg

This is an easy one once you know how to do it. You need to calculate the radius start points on X, but they cannot both end at the same place or you will have non cleanup from the tool nose radius on the left side of the part.

This is a convex radius feature. Put a ? in for the start X and Z0, then a ? in for the final X position, then Z position needs to go past the end of the part to clear the insert radius. On the second line, create a center point and insert the following values:

Take the spherical radius and multiply it by 2 (.745 x 2) = 1.49. Then subtract the .184 X diameter from 1.49 and you end up with 1.306. This will be a negative number for the center of the radius on X.

For the center of Z, take the width of the part .165 and divide by 2 = .0825. This is the center of the radius on Z. Start point is right arrow --> and end position is left arrow <---. Then push right soft key and hit calculate.

You will then need to add a third line to drive the tool away from the part so the insert clears the feature.

EDIT: I inputted the arrows backwards in the picture, but apparently the machine still calculated the values. Arrows were supposed to point towards each other.

Attachments

• 20211028_042832_resized.jpg
    20211028_042832_resized.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 47
  • 20211028_042847_resized.jpg
    20211028_042847_resized.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 87
Philabuster, thank you so much for explaining that. I will study this and apply it immediately. I usually get jobs like this and without training, I sometimes struggle with things that Esprit could easily spit out. But its people like you that help make me a better machinist. Thank you, Thank you.

Back