What's new
What's new

Integrex leaking like a sieve

da_Rayman

Plastic
I just got an integrex 400Y from 2001 with a big problem. It's leaking air like crazy. My 5.5kW (7.5HP) air compressor gets properly toasty in far less then an hour when the machine is running.

So far i have located it to the bottom half of the Z axis carriage. Unless my ears are fooling me it seems to be the loudest from the tunnel were the Z axis ballnut is sitting. Been rummaging around there for a while now but cant feel anything. Tried my best to look with a mirror without any luck.

Might not be a common problem but does anyone have any knowledge of the plumbing in that area? Anything that is oil-mist lubricated or any other function with air?

That sounds about normal, most newer machines consume a lot of air. Look for a Kaeser screw comp.

It is normal for the main spindle to have an air purge all the time, but not normal for the ballscrews to consume a lot of air. Sounds like the air/oil ballscrew lubrication system popped a hose under there somewhere.

A 5.5 kW air compressor not enough for that machine? somehow i do not believe that.... It is definitely to loud to be considered normal. When i stand in the machine it is about as loud as a regular blow off gun at more then half power.

strongly doubt the ballscrews or rails need any air at all.

As i said it is the loudest in that area but felt around the ballnut and didn't feel any air moving.

Do you have parts list for your machine? All connections fitting and so on would be there with blue prints.

I just got an integrex 400Y from 2001 with a big problem. It's leaking air like crazy. My 5.5kW (7.5HP) air compressor gets properly toasty in far less then an hour when the machine is running.

So far i have located it to the bottom half of the Z axis carriage. Unless my ears are fooling me it seems to be the loudest from the tunnel were the Z axis ballnut is sitting. Been rummaging around there for a while now but cant feel anything. Tried my best to look with a mirror without any luck.

Might not be a common problem but does anyone have any knowledge of the plumbing in that area? Anything that is oil-mist lubricated or any other function with air?

A good way you can generally trace down an air-leak in a tight space is to put a piece of rubber tubing near your ear. You can probe around and fish the other end of the tubing into tight places. It works kind of like a stethoscope.

If you have a whole lot of air-noise, you might want to wear ear plugs while you do this to avoid damaging your hearing.
In some circumstances, you can actually plug the end of the tubing to avoid rushing air noises.

I learned this trick from some old auto-mechanics.

A good way you can generally trace down an air-leak in a tight space is to put a piece of rubber tubing near your ear. You can probe around and fish the other end of the tubing into tight places. It works kind of like a stethoscope.

If you have a whole lot of air-noise, you might want to wear ear plugs while you do this to avoid damaging your hearing.
In some circumstances, you can actually plug the end of the tubing to avoid rushing air noises.

I learned this trick from some old auto-mechanics.

Thanks for the tip! going to try that.

Seems that Philabuster was correct. The ballnuts on the machine requires air for some reason. Anyone has a guess as of why? Could it be to increase the flow of oil to the ballnut or some other reason?

The air blow on the ball-nuts is for cooling.

I disconnect the blow on the screws of my Mazak lathes, as I don't want to waste that much air, and don't like the idea of possibly moisture-laden and/or dirty air on the ballscrews.

Plus, I limit the maximum rapids by adjusting parameters (to about 75% of factory settings), so the screws won't have to work as hard and thus generate a less heat.

I've never ran one of my cnc's so hard as to notice any warming of a ballscrew or nut anyway!

ToolCat

Thanks for the tip! going to try that.

Seems that Philabuster was correct. The ballnuts on the machine requires air for some reason. Anyone has a guess as of why? Could it be to increase the flow of oil to the ballnut or some other reason?

The Mazak lathes I have messed with in the past had air/oil mist lubricating the ballscrews--not just plain air for cooling. If you disconnect the air, you also disconnect the lubrication. There should be an orifice controlling the amount of lubrication. A popped or cracked hose will obviously use more air.

Back