What's new
What's new

Lining back up on threads

WILLTELL2388

Plastic
I need some help with lining back up on threads for a shaft on a powermaster. I was wondering how do i go about doing so? I know how to on a manual but how do i do it on a cnc. Considering that i dont know how to stop turning in the middle of a thread.

I usually just offset the x axis of the threading tool enough so I know it won't touch the part and start my threading cycle. I watch the insert with a flash light as it gets close to the work looking to see which way to offset ( plus or minus z) . I adjust the the thread start point (Z in the program)and run it again. I repeat this process until the gap looks the same on both sides of the insert. Note: we should not have made contact with the work at this point, also we are changing only the starting point of the thread in the program, NOT the set up info, NOT the z offset of the tool and NOT the finish point of the thread.

Once we are visually happy with the position of the insert I suggest coating the threads with layout fluid or dry molly. Now we begin removing the x offset and bringing the thread down. Once you make slight contact with the work you can see if the dye has been uniformly removed from both thread flanks.
If only one side is shiny then adjust accordingly.

Back