What's new
What's new

Looking for boring holders ....

rockfish

Titanium
I am looking out for boring holder blocks for my Mazak Quick Turn 10 Universal. The machine came with 3, and I know I'll need one more, at minimum. If someone has some lying around, I would be interested. Also could use another one for my Quick Turn 15, should somebody have one of those lying around too.

Thanks,

Frank

Bump to the top. Still looking for boring blocks / holders for a Quick Turn 10 Universal. Any sources to call for possible used holders ??? Global CNC has them, but at $550 each........they are pricey. Somebody has to have some of these lying around somewhere.

Just make 'em frank
Do everything but a finish bore on the hole. then finish it to size in lathe with a criterion style boring bar in spindle and part bolted in turret.

Just make 'em frank
Do everything but a finish bore on the hole. then finish it to size in lathe with a criterion style boring bar in spindle and part bolted in turret.

X2.

Check turret alignment before boring the pockets. It would suck to bore them and then realize turret is out of alignment.

$550 each sounds like a lot for the ID holder blocks.

But....unless you make several at one time, it's gonna be tough to beat that price, if you make just 1 or 2. There is a lot of milling, drilling, and tapping to be done. And they have to be made right to work well. Now if you have the free shop time, then it's not a big issue. But keep in mind you will have the better part of an entire day in making just one block....and if your shop rate is around $60 per hour, you're gonna be right at the 550 number...especially when you consider the cost of a big chunk of steel or cast iron.

Unless you have some big square material just laying around....

Greg

I'm one of those guys that seems to have more time than money.

I made 5 ID tool holders for my QT20n. I picked up a big chunk of scrap A36 from the local yard and was able to make my holders in a long day( about 11 hours). I have yet to finish the bores, though. I intended to do what wippin'boy said and bore them on the lathe with a mill boring tool in the chuck. I'm holding out for when I can get my machine leveled out in its new home and fix my spindle alignment. As it sits right now......I'm out .002" over only 4 inches.

If you have a slow day, you should be able to knock them out. I payed 40$ for my scrap piece that got me 5 holders. I only had HSS mills, too. I payed close attention to the bottom where it seated in the turret, and just made everything else square as possible. It wasn't too bad......but I suppose if I had the money, I would have just bought them. That's the story of my life, though......lol.

Back