What's new
What's new

Low air pressure bypass?

Ss101504763

Plastic
Got a QTN 250-II MY, Mazatrol Matrix Nexus control. I work in a shop where occasionally itll be an hour or so before they kick the air compressor on. My understanding is the only critical part that requires air is the tool eye. Is there a parameter that can set acceptable pressure to zero, or is there another system on this machine that requires air at all tmes??

We have a SQT18MS with live tooling, it requires air to connect the live tool drive in the turret, as well as blow off the tool eye. It will throw a low air code with no air.

Our QT30 has no live tool and only uses the air for the tool eye and will not fault if there is no air.

If you are serious about bypassing the system you will have to trace where the air goes into the machine, find the pressure switch and by pass it there. If it's a two wire switch and air pressure closes the circuit you will have to solder or jump the two wires together, if it's an open circuit switch just unplug it.

I wouldn't recommend the bypass because if your running a part and loose air, it will still think it has air, activate the live tool, turn the motor on without the tool holder being locked in, and it will keep going with a stationary tool and crash.

Wouldn't it be easier to leave the machine alone and grab a cheap little air compressor from Harbor Freight to give air to the machine when shop air is not available ? Or get one off craigslist ? Two valves and a tee and you're up and running ?

We have a SQT18MS with live tooling, it requires air to connect the live tool drive in the turret, as well as blow off the tool eye. It will throw a low air code with no air.

Our QT30 has no live tool and only uses the air for the tool eye and will not fault if there is no air.

If you are serious about bypassing the system you will have to trace where the air goes into the machine, find the pressure switch and by pass it there. If it's a two wire switch and air pressure closes the circuit you will have to solder or jump the two wires together, if it's an open circuit switch just unplug it.

I wouldn't recommend the bypass because if your running a part and loose air, it will still think it has air, activate the live tool, turn the motor on without the tool holder being locked in, and it will keep going with a stationary tool and crash.

Not sure a crash will happen. There is a sensor that needs to be made within ? seconds when the cylinder extends. Without that signal the machine will throw an error code. After 21 years of use on that machine the connection is a bit wonky for about the first hour or two when I run live tool parts. Once I'm done babysitting it I let it rip for a few days making those parts. PITA, but no longer an issue because of new QT 250 MSYWXZPDQ.

Good to know it has a sensor for that. After i posted that i did wonder if they had something to make sure it was extended, deepest iv been in the turret of that machine is having the side cover off to change the drive belts after one started falling apart.

Good to know it has a sensor for that. After i posted that i did wonder if they had something to make sure it was extended, deepest iv been in the turret of that machine is having the side cover off to change the drive belts after one started falling apart.

Those drive belts are much more fun to replace AFTER they have failed.

Back