What's new
What's new

lube metering valve sizing question

Embrey

Cast Iron
ive got my qt15 lathe apart replacing lube metering valves. i thought all the z axis were PSS-5's until i looked closer. one of them is a 2. problem is, i dont know which one,or if thats even correct. my next question is for the X axis. they are all AJB-00. and every one of them is plugged tight. from what im gathering 00 is very little flow. which makes sense why they are plugged.any reason they are sized so little compared to Z? i could see them needing less than Z, but not that drastically? has anybody increased the size of theirs?or is there a reason i shouldnt ?

reason i shouldnt = it was designed by engineers who (hopefully) knew what the machine needed. If you open one meter up, there will be less system pressure for the others.
I have had luck with an occasional run of K1 thru systems before they plug up. Drop the tank put 1/3rd or so of K1 and manually pump it thru until you see it running out.

juice it up. only reason I can see is waylube consumption and coolant contamination.
thats pretty much where im at with it unless theres some better reason im not aware of. theres no cleaning these small ones. they are made different than the 5's. the 5's i could reuse. the 00's not so much. i have them all disassembled and still nothing will go through the small ones ,PERIOD

so does anybody have any documentation on which one would be a 2 on the z axis instead of the 5's? doesnt really make much sense for only one of them on that axis to so much smaller than the rest when ALL of the X axis are the same size.

If you have the right Mazak manual, there is a lube system diagram that shows all the piping, and actually lists the lube meter sizes with location.

Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to upsize a lube meter or two.

I'm not familiar with a 5 for a lube meter size. 0, 00, 1, maybe a 2, that's all I have seen on older Mazaks.

The lube systems in general pump out a lot more lube to the machine than actually needed.

How do we know that? Lots of Mazak users report machine's running for months or years with malfunctioning or stopped-up lube systems to parts of the machine.

The new Mazaks use grease-lubed guideways and ballscrews, with lube pulses being few and far between.

ToolCat

If you have the right Mazak manual, there is a lube system diagram that shows all the piping, and actually lists the lube meter sizes with location.

Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to upsize a lube meter or two.

I'm not familiar with a 5 for a lube meter size. 0, 00, 1, maybe a 2, that's all I have seen on older Mazaks.

The lube systems in general pump out a lot more lube to the machine than actually needed.

How do we know that? Lots of Mazak users report machine's running for months or years with malfunctioning or stopped-up lube systems to parts of the machine.

The new Mazaks use grease-lubed guideways and ballscrews, with lube pulses being few and far between.

ToolCat
yeahl i have several manuals. but not sure i have THAT one. im gonna dig some more and see. i agree with ya. i dont see any issues anywhere, and id guarantee the stopped up ones havent worked in years. lol. id also agree that a 5 seems like a lot. seems like a i had a lot of excess oil by hand pumping on the z axis where the 5's are. may not hurt to even cut those back some

so. in a box with my lathe i have manuals. but i dont have the maintenace one. i do how ever have all the ones for SQT 15/18 somehow. the diagram in there looks exactly like mine is setup. and there isnt a mention of a 5 anywhere in there. both x and z axis all take a size 0. and the tailstock takes a 1. i think somebody changed my z axis just cause it was easy to get to. the x requires much disassembly. that also may explain why im getting a lube alarm since the z's are so big. they literally just flow oil everywhere when i manually pump it. think ill get all 1's for the whole thing and call it a day

When we went through our QT-8 before commissioning I replaced avery single lube fitting with new. They were plugged solid from the machine having sat for a copule years and laready being 15 years old at the time. I did have to upsize some as when I got close to completion I realized I hadn't ordered enough 00's or whatever. I went with next size up on the X. Works great plenty of lube eveywhere. Avoid getting too far away from oem setting though as you'll drop pressure elsewhere and unbalance the lube system as previously mentioned. We bought them direct from Bijur or whoever is stocking, the name escapes me but one of the major players in machine lube tech. When I called in looking for a few more and to get an opinion the engineer that took my call scolded me a little n account of my seat of the pants size change teehee

When we went through our QT-8 before commissioning I replaced avery single lube fitting with new. They were plugged solid from the machine having sat for a copule years and laready being 15 years old at the time. I did have to upsize some as when I got close to completion I realized I hadn't ordered enough 00's or whatever. I went with next size up on the X. Works great plenty of lube eveywhere. Avoid getting too far away from oem setting though as you'll drop pressure elsewhere and unbalance the lube system as previously mentioned. We bought them direct from Bijur or whoever is stocking, the name escapes me but one of the major players in machine lube tech. When I called in looking for a few more and to get an opinion the engineer that took my call scolded me a little n account of my seat of the pants size change teehee
im hoping this is why i got an alarm in the first place.it didnt seem to ever have pressure when hand pumped. somebody put 5's in the z axis, which is huge compared to everyting else, and flooded the Z everywhere when pumped. i ordered 1's for everything. the 00 is so small im afraid theyll just plug up again quickly

got all my 1's installed and confirmed the oiling and all works well now. still had an alarm within 1st 10 minutes of running, but i marked the pump gears and they hadnt moved. after reset, it then moved and continued working all day with no more alarm. probably stuck from years of inactivity

Back