What's new
What's new

M plus control Mazak - Tapping in the wrong direction! Help!

Tom3197

Hot Rolled
Hey Guys,

We have a HTC-400 that was down for a few months that we just brought back online. Everything works great except for one thing... during a tapping cycle the spindle taps in the wrong direction! Its basically tapping as you would want it to IF you were using a LEFT handed tap, except that's not what we're doing. If you watch it during the tapping cycle (I am programming in Mazatrol) in the upper right hand corner of the position or command page where it shows all the G codes being used it shows a G84 which is just a regular ol' tapping cycle. Is there a parameter anywhere for this that would cause it? I've been comparing parameters to an identical machine with no luck. Anybody got any ideas? :skep:

Hey Guys,

We have a HTC-400 that was down for a few months that we just brought back online. Everything works great except for one thing... during a tapping cycle the spindle taps in the wrong direction! Its basically tapping as you would want it to IF you were using a LEFT handed tap, except that's not what we're doing. If you watch it during the tapping cycle (I am programming in Mazatrol) in the upper right hand corner of the position or command page where it shows all the G codes being used it shows a G84 which is just a regular ol' tapping cycle. Is there a parameter anywhere for this that would cause it? I've been comparing parameters to an identical machine with no luck. Anybody got any ideas? :skep:

This is likely not a parameter but a tool description issue. Somewhere you told the machine to turn that tap the wrong direction. I only have an M32 (older) control here and at the end of the tap line it asks for 2 M codes. I usually put "3, 8" though I just recently found out you only have to put the 3 and 8 in on the first tool of the program and it carries on to all other tools (unless you have a LH tap and you put an M4 in instead of a 3)

Double check your program first. These are smart machines. They do what you tell them to.

Well it is actually a parameter issue, definitely. I have an identical machine (with a few different options) that I saved the Machine Params from and loaded them into this one... and poof, tapping direction is now correct. However many other parameters are now different, I've compared the two sets of Machine Parameters and the J, K, L, M, N paramter sets are almost identical except for a few differences related to the tool changer (one is a 24, another is a 30), as well as position parameters related to Home 1, Home 2, tool measure position, pallet change, stuff like that. So now we're going through the R parameters under diagnose monitor to see if we can find the difference. Made some headway since this morning, not there yet though.

How about that. I would not have guessed that was parameter driven. Keep us posted.

Tell me about it, this thing has been making me look stupid for a couple days! Finally headed in the right direction. Right now we're just going to load the parameters that work, and go back and change the parameters related to all the home positions, tool change positions, tool magazine, and pallet change positions and go from there... we're kinda wondering if the parameter set that taps backwards is just corrupt in some way?

Well it looks like we have everything in working order. I loaded the machine params that worked and changed position params, Home 1 and Home 2, tool carousel params, and R level params under the "diagnose monitor", as well as a Spindle SP7 orientation param and its off and running. Did a fresh save to EPROM and made a new backup disk. We never really did find out the actual param issue though...

Back