What's new
What's new

Main spindle and live tooling at same time SQT250MY -640T

Dbwebb

Plastic
Is there anyway to run the main spindle and the live tool at the same time on a Mazak SQT250MY with a 640T control? I want to run a sanding wheel/brush in the live tool holder along the turning as the main spindle rotates. Not sure if it's possible to spin both at the same time, and if it is, how? Thanks.

Have been told this was not possible, I was looking to use a drill in a milling holder and reverse the spindle to create more speed but wasn't possible.

I would think it would be possible, just have to make sure you are pulling rpm from the correct encoders to drive your IPR feed rates. Then again I am a FANUC guy not a mazak guy. :confused:

The only time I've had them both going together is when polygon machining.
That would work for you if you have that option.
If you go to your options page and see if "Polygon Machining" is black or white. If it's black you have it.

Yes.
Program rpm on spindle and then rpm on live and keep going
Fanuc m3 s1000 p1
M4 s2000 p2

Ussually spindles are programed with different codes

My SQT18MY will do it so your 250MY should as well. I didn't catch if you used eia or mazatrol. We use mazatrol for everything and I have run a live tool and the main spindle using a manual program (MNP)

If you can mill a hex then I don't see why not, don't know if you can feed in Z at the same time as well if that is what your trying to accomplish.

You can do it with LCT (line center)

Assuming a 2" od, and a brush in a horizontal holder, make your cut point x2 z 0 or something like that, give your wire brush a sfm, describe the tool as a 3" endmill (or whatever diameter the brush is)

The way to make it feed is actually to use the main spindle in c axis mode. You'll have to start at x2, z0, c0 and feed to z.5, c180 (for example), then z1., c360, then z1.5 c 540 etc to make the main rotate as the brush feeds along. You can control ultimate feed rate by putting in some ridiculous feed per rev number in for the brush in the LCT process.

You can do it with LCT (line center)

Assuming a 2" od, and a brush in a horizontal holder, make your cut point x2 z 0 or something like that, give your wire brush a sfm, describe the tool as a 3" endmill (or whatever diameter the brush is)

The way to make it feed is actually to use the main spindle in c axis mode. You'll have to start at x2, z0, c0 and feed to z.5, c180 (for example), then z1., c360, then z1.5 c 540 etc to make the main rotate as the brush feeds along. You can control ultimate feed rate by putting in some ridiculous feed per rev number in for the brush in the LCT process.

That's using the C-axis.
That's not what he wants as far as I can see.
He wants to spin the main spindle at 2000 RPMs and Spin the live tool at 2000 RPMs
Both at the same time.

That's using the C-axis.
That's not what he wants as far as I can see.
He wants to spin the main spindle at 2000 RPMs and Spin the live tool at 2000 RPMs
Both at the same time.

I don't think 2000 rpm on the main would fly using LCT. I don't think you could give it a big enough feed rate to get that and have it stop on the programmed point...

I think i'd use MNP then. You can pretty much do whatever you want then. Except I think it may force you to pick between rpm on the main or rpm on the live tool and a c axis main.

EIA may be the only way.

Is there anyway to run the main spindle and the live tool at the same time on a Mazak SQT250MY with a 640T control? I want to run a sanding wheel/brush in the live tool holder along the turning as the main spindle rotates. Not sure if it's possible to spin both at the same time, and if it is, how? Thanks.

We are trying to do the same thing?

Did you get it to work? G-code example?

I wanted to do the same thing-Using a rotating tool in Lathe mode. After research with Mazak was told I had to purchase "Gear Hob" option. $1500. it now works.

Brett......

Its called grinding mode. Here is a sample EIA program that we just ran. We used a saw to part off plastic parts. This works on QT250-II Nexus. And also on QT250 smooth

<MILLTURN>()
G97 G28 U0.0
M205M5
T0500
M48
M200
G97M203S20
M610
G97M203S2500
M4S1000
G0X.7Z-.306
G1X-.015F15.
G0X2.
G28U0.
M05 M205
M612
G4X.5
M49
#125=#125+1
M99

for some reason.. while in grinding mode.. my machine didn't wait for the live tool to fully engage before spinning up..Mazak couldn't help me on that issue... so that is why i have the M203S20 line in there..

Back