What's new
What's new

Matrix control, tool data question

fpworks

Stainless
Bear with me...still learning the control.

Is there a way to change the tool number of a tool already in the tool data page?

I just want to take a tool, with all it's respective data, and make it a different tool number. Possible?

LEt mew know if you figure it out...

In our Matrix you can hit Edit, and tool data assign, and change almost any descriptive box entry, but once you change the nominal data everything resets to the default blank settings.

There's a tool info key which lets you see the data registers and make changes easily.

you want to change the pocket number of your tool but don't change his name and data , right ?

I think you can use " description tool " , input your programm number and then assign some pocket number

If you just want to change the name but keep the pocket number , then create another tool in the same pocket number...
you can create 16 or 24 tool in the same pocket number

No, I need to change the tool number.

For instance, I may be running a 0.5" endmill in program "A" as T5. In program "B", I may be using the same endmill, but it may be T9. It would be nice just to change to tool number, taking all the data with it.

When the factory techs were here, I saw them "force rename" a tool number of the tool currently in the spindle (without changing tools)...any idea on how that was done?

All they did there was re-identify the tool that was in the spindle. Its done through the MDI menu. But I'm not sure on the Matrix. If its the same as the other controls, this doesn't update the tool data or move it. The only way I know how to do this is to download the tool data, move around the data on a program editor, then reload the new tool data. If you used the Tool ID system, then you could switch it... but then you wouldn't care about the tool number/pocket number issue then either.

Several things you could do here though...
1. change the program
2. change the tool ID manually
3. Set up and program to a tool matrix.
4. Create generic info for the tool ID at all tool spots. Since you're progamming in EIA (since Mazatrol wouldn't have this issue), the actual Tool Data is irrelevant. Just don't use facemill or something where the AUTO Tool measure won't run (if you use it).

If what im thinking is correct your seeing the tool being put back into an empty pocket after it changes in the first program. You can always call your tool small and it will always go back to the pocket you assigned it to. If it randomized it and put it back in another pocket I think it is suppose to remember where it is. Im still learning so maybe I am totally wrong on this.

fpworks , what machine ? what control ?
for you , tool number is the pocket number or the "name dia" number ?

"force rename" the tool in the spindle can be done in :
- mdi mode
- twice with right soft key
- then appear "change tool number" key ,and "change next tool" key

but it don't put the tool actually in spindle in another pocket with its tool data !
it take the tool data of the new number you input in current compensation...
This function is use after a emergency stop during atc , or if you must change manually the tools because of a too large workpiece of other thing who make impossible ATC...

Use to tooldata MOVE key. Press "EDIT" on the tool you want to move then press toldata move. Type the pocket in that you wish to move to and all of that tool's info is moved to that pocket.

Right on...thanks for all the suggestions.

I think this has really come down to standardizing our tool numbers. We have 10-12 tools that are really common, so I need to edit our programs so I don't have to move tools around between programs.

(we started the silly technique of using sequential tool numbers based on the usage in the programs because of the slow carosel toolchangers on our Fadal mills. The tool changes are so ridiculously slow, it was faster to reload all the tools so that they were called sequentially by each program)

The Mazak is doing the work of two Fadals now, so we're going to eventually move all our parts over to the Mazak.

Back