What's new
What's new

Matrix Nexus - M358 Chuck Air Blast - Stopped Working

Isak Andersson

Aluminum
Hi again. I've used M358 "Secondary Spindle Chuck Air Blast" in other programs without any problems but now it's not making the spindle turn for some reason.

I wonder if it has something to do with having live tooling right before the M-code. Like it's locking the C-axis even during the M-code itself. If this is the case, then how do I unlock the C-axis before the M-code is called? I tried M312 "C2-Axis Unclamp" but that didn't seem to do anything. Maybe it's a different M-code I'm missing?

Or maybe it's something completely different casing the problem? What do you think?

Put an M302 before it on the M code line. That puts the sub spindle in turning mode. M300 is milling mode. M200/202 for the main spindle.

I tried that too. Also didn't work.

Actually, M302 does work in MDI I just noticed, just not in the program for some reason. Could it have something to do with the sub-spindle transfer? It also takes control of the C-axis so maybe that's the issue?

Edit:
I found a workaround solution by moving one of the turning units after the drilling units. So it's probably nothing to do with the transfer unit then.

Last edited:
Maybe putting the Head 2 select above the M code unit would work. I have ran into similar things like this in the past where head 1 or head 2 being selected will make a difference.

I tried that but I got the error 251 - Milling Motor Rotation Prohib. There's definitely something weird that happens whenever I put an M-code between the Head unit and Transfer unit. I tried adding an M0 but this caused the machine to crash. :confused: So much for the "anti-collision" option.

How did the machine crash? Regular lathes (and mills) don't have the safety shield for collisions while running in automatic mode. Only 5X mills and Integrexes have that, since they have a more powerful CPU. The safety shield on your lathe is only active when in a manual mode.

It rapid straight into the main-spindle chuck with the part still in the jaws. I really don't see how adding an M0 would cause it to do that but it did.

If the "Anti Collision" option is only for manual mode then it's more useless than I initially thought. I definitely have run Into the chuck barrier tho in auto mode so I guess it does something.

Edit:
Come to think of it I don't think the "Anti Collision" option is even a thing. It's certainly not on the options page anyways. I guess the seller was just talking out his a** when they told us we have this option. It wouldn't surprise me because they haven't exactly given us good information in general.

I have no explanation for that one, never seen anything like that happen. Sorry to hear that.

Chuck barriers are based on your BA parameters (BA1, 2 and 3 for HD1) so every lathe has those. But they only protect against the chuck body itself, not the jaws or workpiece.

Back