What's new
What's new

mazak 15n battery/memory issues

Embrey

Cast Iron
so ive had this 15n (T32b)for 6 months or so. was all dead and parameters gone when i got it ,plus a bad board in the panel. once i fixed all that, all was good. made a few parts. etc. most recently it sat for 2 months. i fired it up other day and im back to square one. params all gone again. i reinitialized and got back going and all is good , but WHY did it lose memory in only 2 months? are there more than the one battery i see in left of cabinet with 3.6 V? that battery still tests out at 3.75V by the way. i just want to find the cause of whatever is causing this,as i do not wish to have to go through setting tools and cutting conditons all over again for a 3rd time . lol

I know that my QT250 has the backup battery in the panel, in the rear with all the circuit boards and such. But also, I found one behind the screen. Try looking around in there. It was the same battery as the rear panel one so hopefully this helps you!

I know that my QT250 has the backup battery in the panel, in the rear with all the circuit boards and such. But also, I found one behind the screen. Try looking around in there. It was the same battery as the rear panel one so hopefully this helps you!

if its the same one, it should be easy to find. so far, ive not seen or heard of where it would be. really didnt wanna start pulling all the cards out , but what worries me is if theres not another one. lol

think i got to the bottom of it i hope. started it up today. parameters ALL gone AGAIN. checked battery today, and its dead as a hammer. its showed 3.75 the 4 times ive checked it so far, in and out of the machine. new battery on the way, and hopefully this is done happening.

SO, its been a couple years. had some board/connection and screen issues and kinda got aggravated and let it set for awhile. got the screen and everything fixed. My question is , how long can these machines set with the power off and not drain the backup battery? seems like if i went more than a couple weeks, bam, battery is dead and all the parameters are gone. does anybody know if thats a normal timeframe on these or is there another issue?

well. i reinitialized everything....AGAIN....so ill see how long this lasts this time. i cant ever really use this machine, cause it sucks trying to reload every dang cutting condition, and tool library ,etc. its not worth the time if it wont keep any of it.

gotcha. good info. ive also found it indeed does charge if control is on. but thats definitely not an option for me. i was just curious what is a normal time for it to sit idle without going dead? ive not ran across a machine that does this before. my other mill sat a whole year and is fine as long as i keep good batteries in it. i have also been tossing around the idea of a 3vDC 110v trickle charger to keep things up while it sits cause i just dont use it much. but probably would if i can tackle this issue. ive found a bunch of 3vdc power supplys but not having any luck on trickle charger yet

Last edited:
yeah. that would be easy enough to accomplish. im just trying to find out first what the standard discharge time should be to see if i even have an issue before i go trying to change things around

gotcha. good info. ive also found it indeed does charge if control is on. but thats definitely not an option for me. i was just curious what is a normal time for it to sit idle without going dead? ive not ran across a machine that does this before. my other mill sat a whole year and is fine as long as i keep good batteries in it. i have also been tossing around the idea of a 3vDC 110v trickle charger to keep things up while it sits cause i just dont use it much. but probably would if i can tackle this issue. ive found a bunch of 3vdc power supplys but not having any luck on trickle charger yet
Tha'ts what i did. Mounted a power point inside the cabinet and wired it to the hot side of the main switch so it is powered even with machine off. Hooked the 3.7v side to the 3 batteries (M42 control) No more battery problems

Tha'ts what i did. Mounted a power point inside the cabinet and wired it to the hot side of the main switch so it is powered even with machine off. Hooked the 3.7v side to the 3 batteries (M42 control) No more battery problems
How did you select the correct power point?

I'm sure this is a rather elemtary question, but there's quite a bit at stake.

Bring your battery to the nearest Allstate Battery place and have them re use the leads to make up a more robust battery pack. I have done that before and just needed to find a parking spot for the new battery pack. And sure the owner of a machine I shipped to a new home has found a much bigger battery pack swinging by its wires in the control cabinet.

yeah. thats really not an option, cause there will be no power available as im running a phase converter and its not on unless the lathe is

so, yesterday, i noticed the battery voltage went up a tad if i pulled out the m116 card. so i left ot out last night. the battery today didnt seem to lose any voltage. i plugged the card back in and when i turned everything back on, all my parameters,etc are still fine. so maybe ill just pull that card if i leave it down awhile

Back