What's new
What's new

Mazak 515/40 Ballscrew

cookie54

Aluminum
Hi

I have a Mazak 515/40 Mill.

On the Z axis when it is in rapid the machine whines I have noise coming from the bottom. I was told that the upper and lower bearings have to be changed because its apparently normal

I was explained that this machine has no counterweight for the head and that the life of the bearings has to be changed 4 times during the life of the Ballscrew.

Is it possible to be done by myself or does it take a Mazak tech to do this?
How do you know if the Ball Screw is not wore out, and if it is is there a place where i could get a reconditioned one?

I am wondering if anybody has been in the same situation and please point me in the right direction.

I changed just the bottom bearings on a similar machine years ago.
The way cover got damaged, allowing coolant to flood the bearing housing.

Be sure to block the head before starting work back there, the head can drop unexpectedly with the hydraulics off and you are messing with the bearings.
There is a brake at the top of the ball screw, and it may not take much to disturb, it allowing it to slip.

Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for the info.

For the blocking of the head I learnt that one the hard way on my first CNC mill it was a milltronics Partner 1. It had no brake.

I read in an article that the ball screws on some machines have to be stretched. The machine you changed was that the case also?

How long did it take you to do the job. I was also wondering if anybody has the model numbers of the bearings required to be changed I have no parts book.

Eric

Non counterweight machines that have a brake on the screw always have downward pull on the leadscrew.
Bearings were ordered along with seals etc from Mazak.
It was completed in a day.

There are places (rebuilders) that will regrind and fit new balls in a worn screw.

Bill

Back