What's new
What's new

Mazak Ajax Hercules 7hp 18x40 spindle reducer removal help

ProSeriesRacing

Plastic
Picked up this lathe a few weeks ago and pulled the chuck off to find this spindle reducer I hope!
I have beaten on this reducer a few times and see no movement. Used a 3ft long 1 3/4 od rod and 5lb hammer. Very hard to see if this is even pressed in the spindle, the piece is 4" long with 1.125 ID

Do I need to disassemble this area more to find hidden bolts or set screws? Apply heat and pound on it some more?

IMG_20181130_145247[1].jpgIMG_20181130_145717[1].jpgIMG_20181130_145722[1].jpg

Put down the hammer and step away from the spindle.

Make a plate to fit the back side of the sleeve. Put a large fine-thread tapped hole in the plate, 1-14 or larger. Make another plate for the outside of the sleeve, that is clearance to the sleeve and bears against the spindle. Make it a clearance for the tapped hole. Insert threaded rod and tighten the nut with a 1/2 or 3/4 rattle wrench. If the sleeve hasn't came loose, now put your rod back in and tap it with a big hammer, 20# or bigger. A piece of stock will work fine for a hammer. You want mass, not velocity.

That looks like a 2 1/8 spindle bore. The sleeve should be a MT 6.

I started a Mazak Hercules Ajax Manual Lathe FB group to discuss issues and share information. I’ve posted two different manuals that you can download free to members. Come and join and share this with your other Mazak friends.

Back