What's new
What's new

Mazak FJV-20, adding a full 4th axis, pre-wired.

Mykal1970

Plastic
Please tell me someone can help me resolve this issue. I’ll do my best to convey where I am in the process with the information that I possess; as I purchased it used and did not get the rotary table nor much of the manuals with it; I got it CHEAP (and luckily, it is super nice). I’ll start with the basics.
1997 Mazak FJV-20
Mazatrol M-Plus (MELDAS FCA-535) control
Is (unfortunately for me) a metric only machine
Can provide full list of options and any other pertinent information to be found on the control while in “privileged mode” upon request.
Well, after a quick inspection of the basics; it was indeed configured for use with a rotary (A) axis. A quick peek in the cabinet revealed an MDS-B-V1-05 Mitsubishi drive, labeled “A Axis.” Moving on to the machining envelope, sure enough, there are a pair of communication ports and a hydraulic quick disconnect (for the brake, I surmise). Both communication ports had their protective caps securely affixed, as well as a protective cover over the hydraulic quick disconnect; appears to have been in place since the machine was built. So, this leads me to believe that “all I need now” (LOL), would be an appropriately sized rotary table, with compatible servo motor, communications cables, and proper hydraulic line (again, for braking I suppose). It would stand to reason that I’ll have to actually “turn the option on” via parameters; which I wouldn’t imagine being too difficult to obtain from Mazak.....maybe?
It’s just such a shame having this little mill, in such AMAZING running condition. Previous owner must have had one Hell of PM department as the spindle looks and sounds like brand new, all the way up to the 12,000rpm max, the X,Y, and Z axis move as silently as a new machine would (at 100% rapid traverse), has a chip conveyor, and not a single Knick mark on the table, and even the slide way covers are perfect. It would be SO nice to have an actual full 4th on it as well.
If anyone out there can point me in the right direction or even have the components I need in order to make this happen; I’d be greatly appreciative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your machine is definitely pre-wired for the 4th axis, and if so, your parameters should be set to go.

You will need a rotary with Mitsubishi servo motor and encoder, for seamless operation with the Mitsubishi electricals of the Mazak.

And the "metric only" issue is probably some parameter changes away from being Imperial dimensions...give Mazak tech support a call. (Or possibly Mitsubishi Electric Automation in Chicago or New Jersey).

Good luck with it, and let's see some pics of the mint little FJV20!

ToolCat

Hey buddy! Long time no-see! We met at an auction in Virginia where I bought an old MAZAK MTV-414 at that auction. I really appreciate all the help you have selflessly provided me so far.
I’m currently trying to find a compatible rotary for it. Also, I’m still trying to figure out what happened to my ole AJV-25/405 that was in amazing condition until one day it seemed as tough the spindle drive shit the bed. Rebuilt, replaced, went through the parameter reload to no avail. Even have a Mazak FH-480X that has a hydraulic leak under index table that I can’t seem to find the time to reassemble. Woe is me, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of have a similar issue. I bought a pretty decent FJV25 with a 4th axis (which works great).

For whatever reason they included a 2nd 4th axis when I purchased the machine and my VTC20b happens to be wired for a 4th axis and uses the same connectors. My 4th axis units are Tsudakoma brand so I called Koma Precision (US distributor) and gave them my control and drive info and they checked as to what servo and encoder combination would work in the 4th axis (unforutently I do need to get a different motor and encoder but it should be an easy swap). That is what I have figured out so far, but haven't actually gotten around to do it.

Also talked with Mazak and Mits on parameter changes several times and nobody really seamed to know what to do, if the parameters are already set for a 4th axis as Toolcat says that would be awesome.

Thanks

I pulled off what your trying to do on a fusion controlled Mazak vtc. I installed both 4th and 5th axis. You need to get your hands on what I believe is called the e book. (Electrical book). It would of came with the machines that had 4th axis installed on them when new. It shows all the wiring, parameter changes, what drives and servos to use.
I've had my hands on this book for the m plus control years ago when I was looking at buying one. Someone with a factory installed 4th axis will have it. Get a copy and do it to it!!

Back