What's new
What's new

mazak holes out of round

corner

Plastic
my employer recently purchased mastercam 18 and bobcad. up until then we have been programming exclusively in mazatrol.

our M32B controller has run fine.
our MPlus controller will not machine round holes from mastercam, bobcad, or manual g&m code inputs.
it will only machine round holes using mazatrol.

we have looked at the controllers different parameters.
altered some back and forth.
tried breaking up circles into multiple arc events.
downloaded, manually inputted, and trickle fed.
both mastercam and Mazak customer support are stumped.

one thing that has been done differently to the MPlus controller is we expanded the memory.
but again......mazatrol works fine.

any suggestions, insight, or off the wall ideas would be appreciated.

my employer recently purchased mastercam 18 and bobcad. up until then we have been programming exclusively in mazatrol.

our M32B controller has run fine.
our MPlus controller will not machine round holes from mastercam, bobcad, or manual g&m code inputs.
it will only machine round holes using mazatrol.

we have looked at the controllers different parameters.
altered some back and forth.
tried breaking up circles into multiple arc events.
downloaded, manually inputted, and trickle fed.
both mastercam and Mazak customer support are stumped.

one thing that has been done differently to the MPlus controller is we expanded the memory.
but again......mazatrol works fine.

any suggestions, insight, or off the wall ideas would be appreciated.
might help if you said how far out of round like .0005" or .0050"
mazatrol had auto ability to slow at sharp corners for better tracking or following accuracy. it auto slows in corners. sometimes there is a special gcode so it slows automatically to follow path more accurately
obviously read the manuals

we have been experimenting with a round hole. we attempt to machine a .875" diameter. when we measure across the diameter at 45 degrees from three oclock, it measures .895". when we measure across the diameter 135 degrees from three oclock, it measures .865"

Check your lead in/out. I've seen holes programmed in mastercam that appeared to be out of round, but the culprit was the tool hitting the i.d. on the leads.

What feed rate are you trying to machine the holes? Try using G61.1, that is the shape compensation command. Mazatrol (at least on newer controls) spits it out automatically for milling operations. Could explain what you're seeing.

lead in and out is good. we did try changing it. what is still so mind boggling is it runs fine on the other machine.

we have changed the federate several times. from 20 ipm and down.

where would one insert G61.1?

I am surprised at difference between mazatrol circles and g code circles, unless your cam system breaks arcs into many short lines. There could be a problem.

Another problem could be that you are trying to do difficult machine operations on 30 to 40 year old machine controllers/servos. In a test piece try slowing the feed rate down significantly, measure hole diameters at straight across AND at 45 degrees. Cut hole larger with the feed you normally use and compare results.

Does your CAM system output "R" for arc modifier or I,J,K? Using R can cause some machines to improperly calculate circles.

we have tried. it always oblongs the hole in the exact same way. different cutter sizes, hole sizes, speeds, and feeds. the problem controller is a MPlus. it is about twenty years old. our M32B controller is nearly identical, older, but it is cutting the holes round, within .0003".

we did add memory to the MPlus controller. I am unsure if that could even cause this problem. it is currently what we are looking at though. no luck as of yet.

no "R".
mastercam and bobcad post them differently. neither uses "R", both programs cut oblong on the MPlus, both programs cut round on the M32B.

the machine is level.
while it will not cut round holes with mastercam or bobcad......it will cut round holes with mazatrol.
same cutter, same hole size.

I had a VTC / M+ in EIA, and it would interpolate circles within .0002 roundness, so it sounds like you've got a parameter problem or something. If it cuts right in mazatrol, it aint the machine. If you're out of round by .030, that's got nothing to do with servo lag, feedrates, backlash, etc. Post your G code.

I agree. we have changed parameters back and forth. aside from our manuals, we compared parameters between our two controllers.

%
T14
G90 G80 G40 G17 G00
G54 X0. Y.2 S2500 M3
G43 Z2. H14 M9
Z.1
G01 Z-.14 F15.
G03 X0. Y.2 I0. J-.2 F25.
G01 Z-.28 F15.
G01 Z-.42 F15.
G01 Z-.56 F15.
G01 Z-.7 F15.
G00 Z.25
Z2.
M9
G91 G28 Z0
G91 G28 X0 Y0
G90
M30
%

we did have the memory increased on that machine. simply to hold larger programs, so we could download programs as opposed to trickle feeding. do mazatrol programs sit in a different memory then gcode programs?

Back