What's new
What's new

Mazak Nexus 510c - Y axis noise

amh82

Plastic
Hi guys, new to the site and also new to Mazak!!

Wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions for a problem we have with a Nexus 510c (Heidenhain iTNC530)?

The Y axis will make a whining/groaning noise towards the back of the stroke, but only after a long move or continuous back and forth movement in that area. Only seems to do it above 90% feedrate and also when the X axis is all the way over to the right.

If the X axis is centered or over to the left, the noise in Y is either very quiet or not there at all.

When the Y axis is making the noise I can feel it in the front bearing housing (if I hold a screwdriver on it). I have turned the ballscrew by hand (with a spanner)with motor still attached, it doesn't feel notchy nor over tight, although I do have to use a spanner to turn it.

It has been suggested it could be the Y axis thrust bearings, but would this tally up with the noise being present/worse when the X axis is over to one side?

Apologies, I am electrically biased and from a background of bespoke CNC grinders, automation and lathes - I have zero experience with Mazak, and limited experience with CNC mills!

I spoke to Mazak service about the problem but they didn't have any suggestions other than sending an engineer out.

The machine is not alarming out and the finish/accuracy has not been a problem for the job it was on when making the noise, but the noise is stilla concern!

Any advice much appreciated!

Ballscrew bearings is what we are going to try first.

For anyone who has replaced these, is it fairly straight forward? Is it a case of removing the motor, removing the locknuts at either end of the screw, then pushing the table until the screw is clear of one bearing - remove from housing, then push the other way and do the same??

Did you get your problem resolved? Am having the same issue, I have replaced the rails, and the ballscrew, did it help changing the bearings?

Back