What's new
What's new

Mazak QT-8 with CAM-T2 control. Looking for service manual

novation1

Plastic
I'm a newbe to the forum and also Mazak. I just bought a QT-8 lathe and I am wondering if someone might have a digital copy of the service manual and wiring schematic for this machine. Or one they would part with. The control is a CAM-T2. I don't have the machine yet but need to track down a manual. The machine should be here early next week.
Bob

This is an update to looking for the manuals for my QT-8. I got the machine on Friday and there were manuals with it. In fact duplicates of most of them. I don't have power to it yet but I did notice that the monitor is missing. So I will be looking for the pin-out for the molex connector or if someone knows the correct way to convert the molex connection to a VGA plug. The machine is a 1988 QT-8 SP. The guy I bought the machine from said that the machine wouldn't power up. Not sure that he even tried. He just buys and resells equipment. The batteries for the computer are dead and looks like they haven't been changed in a long while. I guess now the fun starts.

Wow, you have some work to do I think. ;)
The video signal is a non standard 12KHz (lowest standard is 15KHz) but there is a converter that should work.
I have 3 of these machines:
QT10N T2 1986
QT10ATC M/C T3 1987
ST30ATC M/C T3 1988

They all got original monitor and I am a little worried that they will give up soon.
So I have ordered these last week to be prepaird: (If it work I will replace them all)
Mazak industrial monitor replacement ,to VGA XVGA LCD CRT Video Converter | eBay
This should work and I know at least one person on this forum using it.
A year ago I tested a much cheeper adapter GBS8200 and that did not work and I lost the vertical sync signal and ended up buying a new card to the machine.

VGA input LCD driver board with 13.3inch L5F3515P AG133ZJ 124x768 LCD panel | eBay
This monitor is a 13,3" and might be a little to big,

So if you wait a week more or so I can provide you more usefull information about this.
And there is alternatives where you can buy a plug and play monitor replacment, but the price is probably around the same that you paid for the machine.

About the batteries, you schould replace these with new before they start leaking and destroying the cards.
If you have leakage you have to clean the boards in a proper way to stop the acid.
On my machines I replaced the batteries with a holder for 3 AAA NiMh (1,2V X 3 = 3,6V) and but the hold where I easy can change these in the future. (Cables to the boards)
You will have 2 or 3 batteries to replace depending on what version of boards you have.
These batteries holds the parameters and program in memmory when it turned off.
Hopefully you have these parameters in one of your books and they look like these:
IMG_5735.jpg
The day you start enter all parameters you have to know that the binary number (8 1or0) has to be entered with a parity number with the amount of 1, like this:
1100 0010 = 110000103
1111 1111 = 111111118
0000 0000 = 000000000

I think you will find all the help you need to get this machine running here at this forum.

Thanks for the quick reply. I ordered the video converter from ebay. It said it was the last one. I guess by looking at it unless there is an adapter plug that comes with it I'll still need the pin-out for the video connector on the machine to get it to work. The monitor that was on the machine was 14" so finding one that will work shouldn't be much of a problem. Who ever captured the monitor from this machine also took the mount for it. I'll have to make something to hold it in there. As far as the battery situation, there was only a battery on the 727 card. The 784-8&9 cards didn't have a battery on them. Not sure how it even worked. Hope someone didn't just throw a bunch of pieces together to get this out the door. Guess I won't know anything until I put some power to it. That won't be until I get a monitor on it and get the battery's. I do have all of the parameters for the machine. The whole machine is actually in pretty good condition.
Thanks for the help so far. xa-mont if you could post a pin-out of that connector I'd appreciate it.

You are correct, the original monitor is a 14" color monitor.
On CRT monitor 14" is the tube size and not the picture size, on LCD screens 14" is the piucture size.
So you need a smaller screen to get the same size.
The companies that build replacement monitor is using 12,1" LCD screens, but I think that 12,1" is to small and will try a 13,3" (Maybe that will be to big.
Another thing to think of is that the monitor must have the 4:3 format and not 16:9 format.

I Think he uses the "Last one" as a sales trick , it was the last one when I bought mine aswell :)

Can you see any damage on the boards where the batteries is/whas mounted?

I can see on your Pictures that the colors are not the same on both sides of the Molex Connection.
I think this is why I broke my FX702 board when I asumed the colors on the Cable side was Red=Red Green=Green Blue=Blue.
I have a broken monitor that can be a cable donor ;)

xa-mont, do you know what LCD size that fits best?
Did you just mount the screen behind the arched screen or did you do somthing to get a nice modern look?

I can see on your Pictures that the colors are not the same on both sides of the Molex Connection.
I think this is why I broke my FX702 board when I asumed the colors on the Cable side was Red=Red Green=Green Blue=Blue.
I have a broken monitor that can be a cable donor ;)

xa-mont, do you know what LCD size that fits best?
Did you just mount the screen behind the arched screen or did you do somthing to get a nice modern look?
I think mine's a 14 or 15"

I just mounted it in behind the curved front, i wanted to keep the extra protection and keep the enclosure, well, enclosed. I'll take a photo in the morning when i knock off my not shift job and head to my factory.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

And for the power switch on the monitor I've just been running 2 wires coming out of the machine that i touch together when i start the machine. Far from ideal, but I'll add a button or something one day

And for the power switch on the monitor I've just been running 2 wires coming out of the machine that i touch together when i start the machine. Far from ideal, but I'll add a button or something one day

Why not use a multifunction relay like this on the same Power source as the monitor, in DI mode it will give one pulse (100ms -> 24h) when it gets Power and nothing more.
I use this relay to run the chip conveyor for a few seconds every time cooliant starts.

506666_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

506666_ZB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Why not use a multifunction relay like this on the same Power source as the monitor, in DI mode it will give one pulse (100ms -> 24h) when it gets Power and nothing more.
I use this relay to run the chip conveyor for a few seconds every time cooliant starts.

506666_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

506666_ZB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
Yeah i was hoping one would show up at my other job, not needed one day, but no such luck so far [emoji14]

The boards are in great shape. There were 3 batteries taped together and wired to the 727 board but they looked really old and had started corroding at the connections. The masking tape probably saved it from any damage to the enclosure. Like xa-mont I'm going to mount the monitor behind the existing enclosure and fit the screen to the opening. I got a 15" monitor with the 4:3 format coming. I'd still like to find out the pin-out on the plug for the monitor. I looked at xa-mont's thread about fitting the adapter to his machines. I don't have the option of using the existing cable from the CRT set up. It is gone with the monitor. I can see the colors mounted on the adapter but the colors on the plug are not visible from the angle of the plug.

The boards are in great shape. There were 3 batteries taped together and wired to the 727 board but they looked really old and had started corroding at the connections. The masking tape probably saved it from any damage to the enclosure. Like xa-mont I'm going to mount the monitor behind the existing enclosure and fit the screen to the opening. I got a 15" monitor with the 4:3 format coming. I'd still like to find out the pin-out on the plug for the monitor. I looked at xa-mont's thread about fitting the adapter to his machines. I don't have the option of using the existing cable from the CRT set up. It is gone with the monitor. I can see the colors mounted on the adapter but the colors on the plug are not visible from the angle of the plug.
I'll take a photo of it when i get to the factory this morning.

Back