What's new
What's new

Mazak QT-8 rebirth

EzAz

Plastic
I have for years pulled information from PM and figured it was time to give back :D.

We recently purchase a 1988 Mazak QT8 year 1988 and the thread is hopefully to serve as a play by play of some issues we are encountering/working thru to get it back up and running.

So I'll start it off and please anyone chime in if I say something inaccurate as this is the my first Mazak.

Upon receiving the machine and checking the transform taps. The machine was set up with the jumpers to support 200V, our power is 215 3 phase. The taps were changed to support incoming power outlined by the 220V tap information located behind the right side access cover if standing at the front of the machine.

The phasing was determined by verifying the correct rotation of the hydraulics. Didnt get it the first time, coin flip, second time were good rotation corrected. Sounds good.

Powered up at the control everything came active parameters intact from transit time. And now for the fun. There is a 20 NMI E stop and 204 spindle controller malfunction.

The drive is a FR-SFJ for reference. The led led will blink for just a second upon boot up and then nothing. Checking the taps on the controller board per MEAU instruction read nothing. (just trying to eliminate a faulty led and such)

The Spindle motor UVW wires and I believe the MSI 1 & 2 wires, and 2 Honda control cables were disconnected and the powered back up in an effort to determine if there was a pinched wire or ground present that the controller was seeing and "NOT" allowing it to energize.

The above yielded no success.

Then removing the SFJ controller board (Not the entire drive, just the top board) allows access the IM-PW2 power supply. On this board there is a yellow LED that I'm assuming should become light when powered up. The three incoming legs of power R,S,T, all checked to in fact have 220V when checking between them.

This is where it gets exciting. The Main disconnect was then turned on and on only briefly as there was an electrical smoke smell. MEAU had given me a sheets for checking voltage of the power supply separate from the board as I had read on other threads if difficult to determine the cause whether it be the board or the power supply. Well it would appear the power supply might be in fact the issue.

The attached pictures are what appear to be a a result of a corrosion short underneath the white 12pin plug, with this plug pryed up and off there was what seemed to be a residue oil and mixture of black. I'm leaning towards hopefully a dielectric capacitor leaded out over time but additionally while looking into the very small pin female socket the terminals are residue of blue indicating corrosion.

This is where I value opinions gentlemen, my hypothesis is yes there was a corrosion resistance short that occurred and its not pretty. I believe this happened due to the control board being removed and there was nothing to "fault check" that everything was online and talking to each other, it saw an open loop and never let the power supply energize completely. With the board removed, the power supply went ahead and powered up and thus the short that was present now went ahead and had real power applied to it and poof. I'm going to be changing the capacitors and repairing the trace in this isolated area and making another attempt to power up the supply side less the control board.

If I'm incorrect in my approach and or any input or suggestions are welcomed. This condition seems to have been in the machine for a while because the machine is in beautiful condition physical wise, it saw very light use and I believe someone got the alarms a long time back and just wrote it off as dead and its floated around for a a while before someone willing to do something got a hold of it.

I'm going to try my best and would like to avoid sending the entire drive to MEAU if at all possible.

Thank you

(the scrapping on the capacitor is me checking to see if it had degassed and or blown out and this one suffered the blunt of the electrical arc and I "thought" I saw a hole, but no hole)

596769191.jpgIMG_0365.jpgIMG_0369.jpgIMG_0366.jpg

I should start replacing all capacitors on power supply, I fixed 2 spindle drives by doing this.
The burned connectors also need to be fixed in some way.

I should start replacing all capacitors on power supply, I fixed 2 spindle drives by doing this.
The burned connectors also need to be fixed in some way.

Agreed, the capacitor come in today 12/2 and will be starting the repair as you stated above as many as I can do and will post pictures of the before during and after.

So Sunday I received batteries for everyone's reference they were ordered off of amazon. They are Kaster 3.6V 600mah NiMH batteries.

I soldered coiled connections for a strain relief and re attached these to the board with ring terminals. cleaned the posts on the boards as the negative side had a minor amount of corrosion.

The switching over took less then three minutes.

I would like to quote a member Dave, Toolcat, as in one post of his he made mention that the boards are "Tight" upon reinstalling. I read the post and took note..... apparently not enough.

While removing the two battery equipped boards they didn't fall out easily it had to delicately apply a decent amount of pull, they came out did the change and reinstalled. Well apparently when I either broke these boards lose the Video board which at the time I didnt know became "unseated"

After my battery change in record time feeling great about my quick work the monitor upon power up was a bunch of squares , power off and power on a few times I started to get anxious. I then concluded I must have not done it fast enough and corrupted the system. Pulled everything, discharged boards, flipped dip switches etc. and still "white rice" screen.

I then pulled and reseated the video card and powered back on, and the monitor has never been clearer where as before it had some weird colors here and there. So unfortunately I believe I did do the battery change correctly and the super caps were good because they took forever to discard having done this procedure 2-3 times but my lack of knowledge on the video card situation I wiped the parameters with initialization assuming something became corrupted.

I have re-entered the 4 pages of user parameters I took photos of but have nothing as far as the hidden parameters go.

The images below are the error related to a not properly seated video card and the resolution when fixed.

IMG_0378.jpgIMG_0381.jpgIMG_0388.jpg

Below are the parameters that came with the machine I'm in the process of comparing these against the generic T2 control but should they be of any value to some with a QT8, tool eye equipped, no chip conveyor, no parts catcher.

I believe the previous owner never had this running so I'm not putting to much integrity into what I value these parameters at,hence they will be reviewed.

I can say after my initialization the parity error I was getting and the lit bat led on the 884 board I believe has since been resolved.

IMG_0330.jpgIMG_0331.jpgIMG_0332.jpgIMG_0333.jpgIMG_0334.jpg

Well it would appear the power supply repair is going to require additional components. The complete drive was sent back east so the 2 week wait begins.

Will update on what they find and continue when the drive returns.

That'll give me some time to look into the parameter issue. Does anyone by chance have photos of the 4-5 page user parameters for a QT-8?

Power supply returned in time for the holidays and spindle now works and sounds good.

Trying to decipher the parameters and such to get this machine "workable" a few things...

When you powered on with no alarms the axis direction of both X and Z seem to be inverted as far as the physical direction goes.

Put the machine into jog mode and turn the MPG + and the position screen increases bu the turret moves towards the chuck in X. Same thing with Z, turn the MPG negative as if you were facing a part and the positional readout on the screen goes negative but the turret is now physically moving + towards the z limit switch.

Is this a parameter or phase issue? or something even more embarrassing I'm missing.

Finally the turret just spins... and spins.... Checked the encoder and it is properly set for T#1 light comes on and off. Messed around with confirmation time and such in the parameters still with no luck. It will spin until it eventually throw a LS235 index alarm in blue. Hall switch for turret clamp and unclamp is in and lights up accordingly so I don't believe the issue is there. When it spins for what its worth the direction is clockwise while looking straight on from the front.

I've browsed the previous threads trying to find some guidance, its a Nippon Gerotor motor. When the turret unclamps their isnt an excessive amount of droop on backlash for that matter.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Oh and for a data point the spindle drive was rebuilt for 1154$ not including shipping in 2019. They reconditioned the whole board and from all my before and after photos I took they were thorough and didn't just isolate and change the component at fault but went thru the entire assembly. 6 month warranty.

Last edited:
Since all the OP posts are in this thread, and we still don't know what control he has!
It would be appropriate to call Mitsubishi at 1-847-478-2500 and get the proper procedure to read the copy of parameters stored in flash.
The procedure varies somewhat with the actual control and the P/N of the CPU card in the T32 controls.
The other item to find out is how to get into privilege mode to access the "hidden" parameters.

Since all the OP posts are in this thread, and we still don't know what control he has!
It would be appropriate to call Mitsubishi at 1-847-478-2500 and get the proper procedure to read the copy of parameters stored in flash.
The procedure varies somewhat with the actual control and the P/N of the CPU card in the T32 controls.
The other item to find out is how to get into privilege mode to access the "hidden" parameters.

Its a T2 control.

More specifically in a previous post of mine the picture has the specific software side versions currently in the machine.

As I've been told by other PM members the QT8 did not have any "hidden Parameter" needing to be input, they should be blank. I'm aware of how to unlock this.

I've been dealing with MEAU and have a case number on file, if anything recently I've called and followed up with them letting them know what the resolvement to my previous issue was I inquired with them about.

Photo of the rear turret plate removed for reference...

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 141

Back