Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mazak QT18NSP revolver problem.

Hello, i have a problem with second hand machine. When I press on revoler forward or backward button it advances 2 tools places insted of 1. If I hold the button and revolver makes a full turn or 2 turns then the revolver advances as it should, with one press on the button it advances to the next tool. If I run the program the revolver advances too much and goes into alarm. Could it be dirty revolver encoder, and can someone explain how its easyest to get to it to clean it? Thank you.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mlinka View Post
    Hello, i have a problem with second hand machine. When I press on revoler forward or backward button it advances 2 tools places insted of 1. If I hold the button and revolver makes a full turn or 2 turns then the revolver advances as it should, with one press on the button it advances to the next tool. If I run the program the revolver advances too much and goes into alarm. Could it be dirty revolver encoder, and can someone explain how its easyest to get to it to clean it? Thank you.
    what control does your machine have?

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by noname777 View Post
    what control does your machine have?
    Good day, T32-2

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good day, T32-2
    it can be something different but on average there is a black color encoder inside the turret with RED led, that is supposed to be ON, when tool N1 is selected. Encoder position is adjustable, clockwise or anti. just release those two clamps ant rotate it.You cannot open it and clean, but can check it.

the other thing is electrical drawing where you X01...X06 .
    X2..X5 is binary code that must follow the pattern on second attached screen. You can go
    into DIAGNOSTIC monitor page, select X0000 and see all these bits going 1 and 1 while rotating
    your turret.

So you select tool N1, make sure RED led is ON , and make sure that on DIAGNOSTIC screen you have whatever is below number "1" ( make sure you follow correct numbers, as it is same table for 8, 12 ,16 tools turret)

after you checked all X0...X06, select tool N2, do the same and so on.

If all inputs ( X0..X06 ) follow the table as they were designed, and you have RED led is ON when selected tool N1, then you encoder is sort of ok. And that only means that hydraulic motor ( if you have it, it can be earliest servo configuration, but I doubt) is playing. Mazak was using very doggy hydraulic motors in their T32 series, they called it hydraulic index motor, as it had sort of indexing mechanism inside it. Very obscure thing, not a word about it in Internet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled1.jpg   untitled2.jpg  

5. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it can be something different but on average there is a black color encoder inside the turret with RED led, that is supposed to be ON, when tool N1 is selected. Encoder position is adjustable, clockwise or anti. just release those two clamps ant rotate it.You cannot open it and clean, but can check it.

the other thing is electrical drawing where you X01...X06 .
    X2..X5 is binary code that must follow the pattern on second attached screen. You can go
    into DIAGNOSTIC monitor page, select X0000 and see all these bits going 1 and 1 while rotating
    your turret.

So you select tool N1, make sure RED led is ON , and make sure that on DIAGNOSTIC screen you have whatever is below number "1" ( make sure you follow correct numbers, as it is same table for 8, 12 ,16 tools turret)

after you checked all X0...X06, select tool N2, do the same and so on.

If all inputs ( X0..X06 ) follow the table as they were designed, and you have RED led is ON when selected tool N1, then you encoder is sort of ok. And that only means that hydraulic motor ( if you have it, it can be earliest servo configuration, but I doubt) is playing. Mazak was using very doggy hydraulic motors in their T32 series, they called it hydraulic index motor, as it had sort of indexing mechanism inside it. Very obscure thing, not a word about it in Internet.
    Thank you for detailed instructions. I couldnt check the diagnostics right away because my CRT died, so I had to figure somerhing out about that. I used XVGA BOX+15" LCD but the picture is not as good as with CRT.
    Can you tell me how to get to the encoder easyest?
    I cant find the diagnostics screen that you talked about.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for detailed instructions. I couldnt check the diagnostics right away because my CRT died, so I had to figure somerhing out about that. I used XVGA BOX+15" LCD but the picture is not as good as with CRT.
    Can you tell me how to get to the encoder easyest?
    I cant find the diagnostics screen that you talked about.
    I bet it is DIAGNOSTIC from first screen , then DIAGNOSTIC MEMORY ( on M32 there is special MNT -maintenance button to get into maintenance page) , keep pressing buttons until you see something like this on the screen:

76543210 HEX
    X0000 00000000 000

move the cursor to where X0000 and type it if it is something different, type :X0000

one picture is T32 control , another is M32

XVGA xbox is a problem as new LCD screens or TV based monitors are asking for bigger resolution, you need a converter. To get old VGA signal of low resolution to be converted into VGA or SVGA with high resolution or, LCD that support very very low resolution signals. People sell it on EBAY it is just the matter of getting the right one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12.jpg   13.jpg  
    Last edited by noname777; 02-09-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet it is DIAGNOSTIC from first screen , then DIAGNOSTIC MEMORY ( on M32 there is special MNT -maintenance button to get into maintenance page) , keep pressing buttons until you see something like this on the screen:

76543210 HEX
    X0000 00000000 000

move the cursor to where X0000 and type it if it is something different, type :X0000

one picture is T32 control , another is M32

XVGA xbox is a problem as new LCD screens or TV based monitors are asking for bigger resolution, you need a converter. To get old VGA signal of low resolution to be converted into VGA or SVGA with high resolution or, LCD that support very very low resolution signals. People sell it on EBAY it is just the matter of getting the right one.
    Hy and thank you for your help.
    I am using the same XVGA BOX on my mill, and there im using ancient Black/white CRT monitor and the picture is still not good so Im assuming that there is something wrong with XVGA BOX. Im gonna try to order newer model which also support bigger resolution I think.

I did some testing on my own:
    I rotated turret manualy to tool 1 and tryed in TEST mode to input T4 and the turret rotates to tool No.5 and then I cant rotate it anymore manualy or in TEST mode. If I enter T5 i hear click (like relay) and then i can rotate turret again. Then I tryed input code T4 and the turret rotates tool No.3 and it gets locked again until I input T3 in TEST mode.

The turret has 16 tool places.

Im attaching some screens in my diagnostics although its very bad picture quality.20190207_133321.jpg20190207_133950.jpg20190207_134022.jpg20190207_134032.jpg

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hy and thank you for your help.
    I am using the same XVGA BOX on my mill, and there im using ancient Black/white CRT monitor and the picture is still not good so Im assuming that there is something wrong with XVGA BOX. Im gonna try to order newer model which also support bigger resolution I think.

I did some testing on my own:
    I rotated turret manualy to tool 1 and tryed in TEST mode to input T4 and the turret rotates to tool No.5 and then I cant rotate it anymore manualy or in TEST mode. If I enter T5 i hear click (like relay) and then i can rotate turret again. Then I tryed input code T4 and the turret rotates tool No.3 and it gets locked again until I input T3 in TEST mode.

The turret has 16 tool places.

Im attaching some screens in my diagnostics although its very bad picture quality.20190207_133321.jpg20190207_133950.jpg20190207_134022.jpg20190207_134032.jpg

where on last picture you see ADDRR and then below X0150, put cursor where X0150 and type X0000 instead. You will have the line X0000 0000000000000000. Then rotate turret (somehow
    you have to go trough all tool numbers) take pictures for everyone tool number. Then you can see if encoder is working good.

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

where on last picture you see ADDRR and then below X0150, put cursor where X0150 and type X0000 instead. You will have the line X0000 0000000000000000. Then rotate turret (somehow
    you have to go trough all tool numbers) take pictures for everyone tool number. Then you can see if encoder is working good.
    qt18nsp-tool.jpg
    This was what I got when i run through 16 tools.
    Today, for some reason forward turning of turret run 99% Ok, but in reverse turret skips 2 places. If I hold the button for turret to go around couple of times it gets better. I also think that the oil flow (speed of rotating in reverse is faster than forward). Is there a way to adjust the oil flow for turret reverse?
    I have seen some valves in the back. (Attaching the photo).
    Can I adjust the hydraulic valve flow there?
    Do you know what is the srew marked with red used for?
    Someone wrote "1" under it with black marker.
    20190210_143746.jpg
    Best regards.

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Attaching video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mazak QT18NSP revolver problem.

Turret balance is critical on those 8/16 turrets with their large, heavy tool holders. You can experiment with moving the holders to other stations or adding holders to get in balance.

Something else I do to all my Mazak QT’s is install an adjustable hydraulic flow-control valve in the pressure line for the turret. (I use ones made by Parker). This allows me to slow down the index and clamp/unclamp speed. By doing this you will get smoother, quieter indexes, and it can help with “overshoot” do to balance problems.

You still get full clamping pressure, as a flow-control valve doesn’t lower actual line pressure, it just slows the speed.

Sure, you may add a second to each index, but so what? Sub-second index times are great for selling new machines, but cause excessive wear and tear on the index/clamp motor, and the curvic coupling.

Good luck with it,

ToolCat Greg

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    Turret balance is critical on those 8/16 turrets with their large, heavy tool holders. You can experiment with moving the holders to other stations or adding holders to get in balance.

Something else I do to all my Mazak QT’s is install an adjustable hydraulic flow-control valve in the pressure line for the turret. (I use ones made by Parker). This allows me to slow down the index and clamp/unclamp speed. By doing this you will get smoother, quieter indexes, and it can help with “overshoot” do to balance problems.

You still get full clamping pressure, as a flow-control valve doesn’t lower actual line pressure, it just slows the speed.

Sure, you may add a second to each index, but so what? Sub-second index times are great for selling new machines, but cause excessive wear and tear on the index/clamp motor, and the curvic coupling.

Good luck with it,

ToolCat Greg
    Hy and thank you for your answer.
    I dont think its the balance problem, because it was skipping in both sides before and now is skipping just in reverse. I found another thread with Mazak QT15 with same problem like mine and guy used oil aditive that he poured in the hydraulic oil tank:
    QT-15 Turret Skipping Tools

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So the guy said that aditive didnt solve their problem in the end.
    So any advice is welcome.
    One person in another thread said:
    "Machine needs shot pin assembly in turret cleaned up"
    Did anybody do that? How do you do this?

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is this turret play normal when turret released?

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, I install water ball valve on the hydraulic line that goes to the turret hydraulic valve connection "P".
    This worked for me.
    The turret now spins softer and slower.
    I should use hydraulic flow adjusting valve, but water ball valve is way cheaper to test if the thing will help.
    Maybe this helps someone.
    20190214_115219.jpg

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, I install water ball valve on the hydraulic line that goes to the turret hydraulic valve connection "P".
    This worked for me.
    The turret now spins softer and slower.
    I should use hydraulic flow adjusting valve, but water ball valve is way cheaper to test if the thing will help.
    Maybe this helps someone.
    20190214_115219.jpg
    you proved the point that hydraulic motor is bad. You installed the valve ( who actually told you to do it? ) and now less hydraulic pressure is coming towards the motor. less presure on internal parts. Who told you to do it? =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you proved the point that hydraulic motor is bad. You installed the valve ( who actually told you to do it? ) and now less hydraulic pressure is coming towards the motor. less presure on internal parts. Who told you to do it? =)
    Pressure would be the same. Just flow would be slowed down