What's new
What's new

Mazak SQT15msy x axis just starting acting up

jrowland19

Plastic
I have a 99' Mazak SQT15msy that has been working fine with no crashes until I powered it up yesterday. Immediately after powering up the x axis was rumbling a bit and after a few seconds errored out showing some kind of controller error. I shut it down and then powered back up walking quickly around back to see what the axis was doing and looking at the motor coupling it was just kind of vibrating before it would shut down. I checked and the axis is back from the limit switch a bit also. After doing some reading, my initial feeling is a drive problem or a stuck limit switch, but before I do anything wanted to see if anyone else had seen a similar issue.
John

The SQT's have a hydraulic cylinder on the X axis to keep it from dropping, but I don't think there is a brake, per se. It sounds like a drive board took a dump.

the error is 21 Drive unit power malfunction. I am leaning toward the drive unit or power supply at this point, but Im still very new to this machine.

I did also notice that if I press the estop button then open it and try to clear the estop alarm it wont clear until I reboot with the estop off.

The drives in the machines with a plus or fusion control are white units that are in a row.
There is a power supply module (maybe 2)that powers the row, each unit has a 2 digit display. when you have the alarm, one of them should be displaying the 21. The others will be in Estop, and display the code for that.

It is always helpful to let us know what the control is, so we know what vintage machine you have.

I appreciate the feedback and am learning so I will try and provide enough data in future posts. I have the tplus control and my mitsubishi modules are displaying the following when it errors out.
MDS-A-SPJ-37 "F3 E7"
MDS-B-CV-300-6 power supply "6"
MDS-B-SP-260 main spindle drive displays nothing
MDS-B-sp-76 sub spindle"E7 F7"
MDS-B-CV-75 power supply"6"
MDS-B-V2-3510 y axis and?? "E7 F4"
MDS-B-V2-3535 x and z axis "E7 F1"

The drives in the machines with a plus or fusion control are white units that are in a row.
There is a power supply module (maybe 2)that powers the row, each unit has a 2 digit display. when you have the alarm, one of them should be displaying the 21. The others will be in Estop, and display the code for that.

It is always helpful to let us know what the control is, so we know what vintage machine you have.

yeah, sure seems like a possiblity. Its just wierd that the x and z axis drives were moving wierd on start up. Im pulling it today and having it tested.

Well, pulled the spindle drive, took it to my tech and he fixed it in a few hours. Cost me a whopping $300 and just needed the small internal power supply module that is soldered onto the main board. I appreciate the help guys, especially hitandmiss!

Back