What's new
What's new

Mazak QT200 Mazatrol Smooth G - Mill eccentric feature help

Matabele1

Plastic
Hi all,

I've been trying to side mill a cylindrical feature in a part that sits eccentrically to the axis of the main body of the part. It looks similar to the eccentric part of a crankshaft, but not as pronounced. How can I do this? I've tried face machining a pocket in ZC, and can get this to wrap around 360 degrees, however its concentric to the spindle axis. I need to offset it somehow...or try a completely different approach?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I need to offset it somehow...
You can offset the feature relative to the spindle centerline by inserting a WPC SHIFT unit just before the pocket. Enter data into the WPC SHIFT X value to move the centerline by the amount you need radially and enter zeros in the remaining fields.

You need to enter a second WPC SHIFT unit after your pocket to cancel the coordinate shift by entering all zeros in the data fields.

You can offset the feature relative to the spindle centerline by inserting a WPC SHIFT unit just before the pocket. Enter data into the WPC SHIFT X value to move the centerline by the amount you need radially and enter zeros in the remaining fields.

You need to enter a second WPC SHIFT unit after your pocket to cancel the coordinate shift by entering all zeros in the data fields.

Great idea, thanks! I will give that a try. Pity Mazatrol can't handle something like this though.

I was talking about adding a MAZATROL process called WPC SHIFT within the program.

DO NOT adjust the WPC manually!

No I got you, thanks for clarifying though! I just thought it would be handy to have a standard program feature like "pocket" or "mountain pocket" etc that could handle an eccentric feature without having to offset the WPC.

No I got you, thanks for clarifying though! I just thought it would be handy to have a standard program feature like "pocket" or "mountain pocket" etc that could handle an eccentric feature without having to offset the WPC.

Sorry about that. I got a little excited.

Yes, Mazatrol can cut a pocket feature off centerline. More than one way to program the machine. Being you already had the feature programmed, moving the WPC seemed like the simplest way to do it.

Sorry about that. I got a little excited.

Yes, Mazatrol can cut a pocket feature off centerline. More than one way to program the machine. Being you already had the feature programmed, moving the WPC seemed like the simplest way to do it.

Hi there,

I'm really beating my head against a brick wall at the moment,trying to program this same part. Our QT200MY lathe does not have a WPC feature apparently, so i went down a different track. I made what looks like the perfect tool path using XC, coming in on X with a 6mm End Mill...and the feature is looking like what I want according to the onscreen graphic. Trying to run it though gives a 775 error message saying "This tool cannot be used for facing". The same tool will pocket in ZY no problem though.

Would you have any suggestion of what to try to get this to run. Or put another way what strategy would you use if you needed to mill a eccentric pocket 360 degrees around?

Back