What's new
What's new

Mazak QTN100-2 Tool Nose Radius Compensation Question

countryboy1966

Hot Rolled
Fusion Matrix control

Ever since I got my lathe I struggle making correct radii on smaller features (i.e. .015R on a .250 Dia).

Well I'm trying to turn a 4° taper to 0,0 and I'm getting an approx .020" Diameter tit at the center. I would like to minimize this.

So I checked my turret for alignment by running my tool to zero machining a piece of stock and I get the tit. If I run it passed zero the tit is minimized to next to nothing and would be satisfied with results.

I've also swept a drill holder and turret is aligned there.

I checked to confirm my TNR in my tool setting was correct and it is.

I made a .010 Diameter offset in X to see if it would disappear. I.e. my 1.125 OD now measures 1.115, but the tit is the same size diameter.

IS there some sort of tool nose compensation setting I can check to see if proper parameters are set?

Any other ideas?

As always - Thanks for the assistance!

Sounds like the turret is out on it or the tool/insert is not the correct height. Every one I have been on compensates for the tool radius and actually goes past center when doing a facing unit. I would take the tool out and setup a indicator on the flat and translate X to see if its the turret out.

so I checked my turret for alignment by running my tool to zero machining a piece of stock and I get the tit. If I run it passed zero the tit is minimized to next to nothing and would be satisfied with results.

You have to feed passed zero the radius of the tool to get the titty to be gone. I was using a 3/16 round tool feeding to X-.094 to get the titty flat.

Since you can face it flat then my guess is that it's not a tit but rather the small of the part is rolling over the tip of the tool due to how flimsy/small it is.

Brent

Fusion Matrix control

Ever since I got my lathe I struggle making correct radii on smaller features (i.e. .015R on a .250 Dia).

Well I'm trying to turn a 4° taper to 0,0 and I'm getting an approx .020" Diameter tit at the center. I would like to minimize this.

So I checked my turret for alignment by running my tool to zero machining a piece of stock and I get the tit. If I run it passed zero the tit is minimized to next to nothing and would be satisfied with results.

I've also swept a drill holder and turret is aligned there.

I checked to confirm my TNR in my tool setting was correct and it is.

I made a .010 Diameter offset in X to see if it would disappear. I.e. my 1.125 OD now measures 1.115, but the tit is the same size diameter.

IS there some sort of tool nose compensation setting I can check to see if proper parameters are set?

Any other ideas?

As always - Thanks for the assistance!
Witch process are you using.

Facing

Or

Bar face

Witch process are you using.

Facing

Or

Bar face

Using Bar Out. I think this is part of the problem because while my roughing pass feeds from larger to smaller diameter, the finish pass is finishing from small diameter to larger diameter. Was hoping I could cheat it seeing that my finish pass was only .003".

Using Bar Out. I think this is part of the problem because while my roughing pass feeds from larger to smaller diameter, the finish pass is finishing from small diameter to larger diameter. Was hoping I could cheat it seeing that my finish pass was only .003".
Facing goes past center Bar out doesn't.

Offset your X minus 2 x tool Rad
Add 2 x tool rad to diameter if needed.

Example
8056eef5534785fe5511c595f4feff6d.jpg

On my T-2 when turning a taper starting at X0, the finish pass begins at X-0.0262 (with a .032 nose radius) using a Bar out. There may be a parameter setting for that on a Matrix. I am surprised anybody would have it set up like that.

Back