What's new
What's new

Mazak Quick Turn Nexus 350 - Should I Buy It?

Arc-On

Aluminum
A friend of mine has this lathe surplus to his needs. He just replaced it with a live tool lathe of similar size and capacity, just newer and better equipped.

There is nothing wrong with it, he just won't need it anymore once the new one gets installed. They use this machine every day. It holds tolerances, makes good parts. They maintain their equipment.

I believe it is a 2005 machine, 30 HP. I don't have the exact specs in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it will swing 26.5" max, turn 16.5" and has 49" between centers. I can't remember what the spindle bore is. Pretty sure it's not the big bore, but maybe 3" or so?

These pictures are after they just turned some plastic of some kind, so the inside is covered in little black specs of some kind of plastic. Normally this machine turns stainless conveyor parts.

I'm not worried about the condition at all, I know it to be a good operating machine.

He's asking 30k for it, I think, although we haven't actually negotiated anything yet. I'm sure he will throw in some tooling. I know it has a Kitagawa hydraulic chuck that is included. Probably will have a nice Royal live center and some turning tools as well. That's not a big deal. I know the lathe he just bought came with a whole Vidmar full of tooling, so I'm willing to suspect he'll be ok with letting some go with this machine.

50323397856_21349a4626_b.jpg

50323397876_2a7ed56277_b.jpg

50323397926_8c753b964d_b.jpg

50322730823_d0d805e3fe_b.jpg

50323575982_2b62fc3d35_b.jpg

I wasn't really in the market for a lathe right now, but this seems like a good opportunity. He is willing to carry the note, and doesn't need the money right away so I can get it under power and making parts before I need to pay for anything.

It's a bit bigger than I was thinking for my first CNC lathe, but I also know that there isn't a lot of competition in my area for bigger lathe work. Everyone I know around here has small lathes and subs out their bigger turning to shops in other cities. I can probably drum up some work for it without too much hassle.

I don't love the idea of buying a machine basically on spec. But at the same time, it's hard to get turning work without a lathe.

Thoughts?

Bump.

Anyone got any ideas price wise?

I talked to a few customers, I should be able to put some work in the spindle fairly quickly.

30k seems a bit much, but at the same time, I really don't know how to best value these larger machines.

Back