What's new
What's new

Mazak SQT-18MS 2 how old is too old?

lumley32

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I am looking at a Mazak lathe, it seems a good fit for what we want to do, but I'm worried about the age.

it looks in good shape from the pictures, but I'm yet to see it in person, is 1998 too old for a dual spindle live tool lathe?

I have worked with the control before but just on 2 axis lathes.

Anything I need to look out for?

Make sure both spindles sound OK, else you would be looking at $10k+ per spindle for rebuild.

Otherwise older Mazaks are built well, and will provide years of service if the machine isn’t beat and abused all the time.

The SQT’s of yesteryear in particular were built heavy and solid, a notch above the standard QT’s.

ToolCat

Had a sqt18ms 1996 with t plus.

Beast of a machine. Always ran great held amazing tolerances although it did need some tweaking. I know the shop that bought it from me and it’s still running great. Absolutely solid machine.

Had a sqt18ms 1996 with t plus.

Beast of a machine. Always ran great held amazing tolerances although it did need some tweaking. I know the shop that bought it from me and it’s still running great. Absolutely solid machine.

Not to change the subject but how is the integrex 100 working for you? I posted a question about the machine you might be able to answer. At least I think I remember you telling me you had purchased one.

Charles

so this machine sounds good, can the T Plus control accept g code? I've heard that some controls can and some cant or it's a very expensive upgrade from Mazak.

It was an option available. You must turn the machine on and try to create a program. If you see eia as an option than yes it can take gcode.

Back