What's new
What's new

Mazak T+ Tailstock Parameters & Barrier Setting

ben_smith

Aluminum
I've really gotten to like Mazatrol T+ and my QT20. However, I've got a bunch of production that requires the use of the tailstock and have been beating my head against a wall trying to get the barrier parameters setup properly. These are really simple parts that are finished to .75" dia by about 7.5" in length. Just when I think I have everything set correctly I get a tailstock barrier alarm during simulation. Perhaps another set of eyes could spot my error? My assumption with the barrier is that once it's setup Mazatrol will automatically position the tool so that it won't crash into the tailstock and live center during turning and tool changes?

I'm using a Riten 14104 extended point live center with the following dimensions (approximate)

Dia of bearing housing 3.065"
Length of bearing housing as it protrudes from the body of the tailstock when it is fully retracted 3.55"

Dia of "large" point 1.385"
Length of "large" point 1.8"
Dia of "small" point .50"
Length of "small" point .80"

Here's my settings for the tailstock barrier parameters. I'm sure my problem lies somewhere within these numbers but the manuals aren't much help and Google hasn't been able to provide any answers. My understanding is the settings are in the following format 00.0000". I am also assuming that the tail body OD and length are referring to the actual main body of my automatic tailstock?

B37 50000 (tail body OD)
B38 190000 (tail body length)
B39 32000 (tail spindle OD)
B40 37500 (tail spindle length with quill retracted)
B41 15000 (live center point major OD)
B42 26000 (live center point length)

IMG_0490.JPG

zoom out on the simulation page more than likely if its with a turning tool the machine thinks the holder is hitting the tailstock which you cant really see unless you zoom out. if that is the case simply hang the tools out further OR you can re-dimension the tool holder in the parameters. Another thing to check is what diameter you're machining to in comparison to the tailstock center diameter. When you get to close to the center it will also trigger the barrier alarm.

i usually only change b41, b42, b43, b44 i think. one is length from face of quill to the point, one is diameter, one is included angle and one is diameter of the center in the job at z zero. on the setup page you tell it the amount of quill stroke youre using up the top to the right of the z offset area.

Ahhh.... now I've got it figured out. I was under the impression that Mazatrol would take the tailstock barrier into account when calculating the toolpath for a specific program. I guess the barrier is only useful for simulating whether a tool with crash into the tailstock, not for calculating the actual toolpath. Playing around with the TPC settings does deliver the approach and retract path I need. It just seems like an odd way of doing so.

its not work for me. mazak QT30 - mazatrol t plus. i changed each of this parameters to "0" and not affect in my simulation window my spindle location still there

On the T2 control, if you input a large stock diameter in the top (common) line of the program, the machine will automatically stay above that OD until it's in position at Z, to come straight-in for X. And it does the same when retracting. Easy-peasy to keep the turret off the tailstock.

I usually use a MAX OD on the common line of 8-10".

However, I have a T32 and a T+ machine, and I've never been able to get them to obey the common line MAX OD when approaching and retracting. So, I use TPC for each unit.

Actually I think my T32 and T+ will do it for retract only --- which doesn't help as you would already have crashed on the approach...(if you weren't paying attention).

ON EDIT: I agree on using the Barrier Cancel button, when you know you're good, and you've got work to get done.

ToolCat

And you run the first part REALLY slow

No! Balls to the wall with head turned and earplugs, eyes closed. Flak jacket optional.

Yes, first part really slow and often not even sticking out of the chuck if a new program. But repeat programs are different. Just hit the green?
Today I loaded a bar program and set the bar stick out too far. Hit green. WTF!!!! Hit the red and first tool was a whisker from facing the shaft about .5" in from end. Duh! 18 years with that program.

On the T2 control, if you input a large stock diameter in the top (common) line of the program, the machine will automatically stay above that OD until it's in position at Z, to come straight-in for X. And it does the same when retracting. Easy-peasy to keep the turret off the tailstock.

I usually use a MAX OD on the common line of 8-10".

However, I have a T32 and a T+ machine, and I've never been able to get them to obey the common line MAX OD when approaching and retracting. So, I use TPC for each unit.
Could you elaborate on that? Tool keep wanting to rapid into my center and I know TPC can fix this, but I've no idea how.

Actually, only one of my T32 machines doesn't obey the MAX OD cylinder when approaching and retracting. My other T2's, T32's, and the T-Plus do.

When you list a MAX OD on the first (common) line of the program of a very big diameter like 8", all your tools will remain outside of an 8" diameter cylinder when approaching and retracting. The turret moves along the 8" diameter line in Z until it gets to the approach dimension in X, then the tool moves only in X approaching or retracting to/from the part.

Each individual unit states the actual cutting-point in X, so the tool doesn't waste time cutting air from the 8" imaginary cylinder.

By doing this little trick, you don't need TPC in every program unit, to avoid hitting the tailstock on approach and retract. This simplifies your programming a bit, and saves memory in the control too.

ToolCat

Back