What's new
What's new

Mazak T1 boring bar retract clearance parameters

mmurray70

Stainless
Trying to get more room to fit a boring bar in a hole. I've reduced PX1 as small as it will go without error (51 units) but there seems to be another small move there too. Is there anything else i can adjust to get me more room?

In my QT10 manual it says P17 “cutting escape height” in .001mm or .0001” units (default 500) and P18 “cutting escape width” (same units, default 200.) Px1 is “safe contour distance” in .001mm / .0001”, default 5000. If you get Px1 too small the spindle won’t have time to accelerate between passes.

When I had the same problem, generally on a thru hole, I’d either program an offset for the boring bar as a drill and do a straight plunge then go into the bar cycle. Or just make the first pass with a SGL point to point move.

In my QT10 manual it says P17 “cutting escape height” in .001mm or .0001” units (default 500) and P18 “cutting escape width” (same units, default 200.) Px1 is “safe contour distance” in .001mm / .0001”, default 5000. If you get Px1 too small the spindle won’t have time to accelerate between passes.

When I had the same problem, generally on a thru hole, I’d either program an offset for the boring bar as a drill and do a straight plunge then go into the bar cycle. Or just make the first pass with a SGL point to point move.

Is this on a T1? I tried most of the other "P" parameters with anything to do with clearance and it didnt seem to help.

Ended up using the SGL mode and got it to work. If anybody else has any advice please post it. Thanks!

That was from a mid 80’s square turret QT10 w/ T1 programming manual, still have the books even though I scrapped the lathe a couple years ago.

Yeah thats what mine is. The square turret one. Mine spend all its life in a trade school so very little wear. Still makes good parts. I kinda fear the control could die any day though being so old. Wish I would have retrofitted the machine years ago when I had time to do it.

How did yours die? Just wore out or something crap out in the control?

It had a lot of issues. The tailstock was long stolen, I never knew what most every switch on the panel did, but it made a lot of good parts. The spindle drive ended up with a fault that was above my ability to fix. Retrofitting a VFD was possible but a lot of work, I'm pretty sure a wire broke in the bowels somewhere. End the end I elected to save what I could off of it and scrap the iron. I put a 17x40 Webb engine lathe where it sat and for the work I do it's more useful. I miss threading the most on the QT10, very handy to be able to have correctly sized beautiful parts every time. I probably have some extra tool blocks on a shelf somewhere.

Back