What's new
What's new

Mazak T32 monitor flicker

EckFab

Aluminum
Mazak SQT15M T32-3 control 1991

Machine ran fine until randomly this morning the monitor would flicker black and a make an electric snapping sound inside. Removed the top cooler and covers and have found that with the snaps a strike of lighting about 2" comes out of the side of the black plastic box towards the back left of the lower (see pics). This is some sort of capacitor or transformer?

I reached out to Mitsubishi today and hope to hear back more tomorrow, their only response today was a part number to a LCD upgrade monitor.. I don't see why I couldnt just fix this one somehow since the monitor operates just fine when it doesn't flicker.
20160809_140022.jpg
20160809_133904.jpgThanks in advance for any input anyone has.

Ethan

So far we have bandaided the monitor and fingers crossed it will last a while. After researching I found one place which would repair an old CRT monitor like this, Dotronix. I believe an LCD upgrade would still be cheaper than repairing but just not Mitsubishi who wants $3,000 for a LCD replacement...

Anyways to the bandaid fix. That small black box is the transformer or flyback providing power to the anode or monitor. After some quick digging on some old tv forums I found that some have siliconed similar holes in the side of these transformers and made monitors last several more years. One key of the process is to let the silicone completely cure before powering up or the electricity will suck it in. I am hoping this is the fix and makes the machine last at least a couple more years. I was able to find one of these flybacks for replacement but at $200 it would be a tough decision between it and a $800 lcd replacement off Ebay. Anyways I hope this helps someone else, I am sure we arent the only ones running an old CRT monitor still.

Ethan

Any pictures would help. I think I could tackle doing this for my T32-3 if the silicone ever gives out haha. Thanks for posting that up.

Is there anything special to look at when purchasing the LCD monitor? Or is it just mainly matching the size and capability to mount in the given hole?

Hi, could you please share the parameters of your T32-3 with me? I just got a ST28N ATC MC from a tech school.
My WhatsApp is +5511966974533
Thanks

Back