What's new
What's new

Mazak VCN 5X-20k 5 axis noob questions

AlloyCraft

Plastic
So a 3 axis fanuc machinist buys a Mazak VCN 5X 20k machine, with matrix 2 control, confusion ensues. I've been trying to teach myself how this machine works, I have 3 axis stuff working fine, however I am having trouble with 5 axis stuff. Typically when I set up a part I need to touch off x,y, and z, then post code, load tools, check clearances and hit run. For 5 axis I think I need more offsets, however I'm not sure how to touch off G54.2 or G54.4 or even which one to use?

Thanks

You probably want to start by using G54.2 for 5-axis positioning work (not full simultaneous 5-axis machining). Once you set G54.2, its position in relation to the workpiece will always be the same, regardless of the position of the rotary axes.

To use it, you fist need to set G54 at the machine's center of rotation. You then set G54.2 as the relative distance (in X, Y & Z) between the center of rotation and workpiece origin. Now, whenever you move your rotary axes X0Y0Z0 will still be at same point on the part. Machining is done from this position using the machine's XYZ co-ordinate system (e.g. the coordinate system and axis directions do not get rotated with the part, just the zero point).

In your program, you will first call G54 and then subsequently call G54.2 P1. To cancel, call G54.2 P0.

Hope this helps get you started.

Back