What's new
What's new

Mazak VQC15/40 10000rpm spindle oil mist lubrication

Mika K

Plastic
Hello!

Just got my hands on machine trying to save it. Without better knowledge I think it consumes a lot of air. Anyone has a better understanding how spindle air-oil lubrication should work. More specific, is it meant to blow air into nozzles all the time? Pump works periodically providing oil to distribution block but air blow is constantly on.

This is the pump unit:
Pump unit.jpg
Shared album - Mika Kahilainen - Google Photos

And distribution block beside the spindle:
Distribution block.jpg
Shared album - Mika Kahilainen - Google Photos

-Mika

It's likely working as designed, but air pressure may be adjusted too high if it's using a lot of air, or a seal has failed allowing too much air to pass. You want a constant airflow to help prevent small chips and coolant getting past the spindle/housing gap, but it's not supposed to be a huge flow. There should be a manufacturers specification for either pressure or volume of flow, try to find that information.

I found that pressure should be right and I see the benefits for constant air flow. Probably there is something wrong with plastic piping leaving the distribution block. One of them turned to have a hole. But even if I block that line completely there is a lot of air coming from spindle assembly.

I believe that I have quite complete documentation but it lacks the details of nozzles at the end of plastic pipe. I just assume there is such thing. Maybe I must take the spindle assembly out and see...

If I remember correctly, there is a hole at the back of the flange of the spindle cartridge that the air exits from. A gentile hissing sound.
There are no nozzles at the ends of the plastic pipes.
The air/oil mist is deposited near each bearing to provide lubrication.
If one line is blocked, that bearing gets no lube.
You should see small oil drops moving inside all the tubes on the way to the spindle, I don't know how many drops per min. is the proper value.

Bill

Back