State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    And you can not see the n.c. code.
    Yep, hope and pray before you send it.

I could only take so much of bar in/bar out. Mazatrol made me in the 10 months that I ran one with the T-plus control.

2. Likes yardbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    And you can not see the n.c. code.
    What? How can/do tell what its going to do? That'd drive me back to drinking. Is there some sort or simulation you can watch before you let'er rip?

Brent
    Last edited by yardbird; 07-17-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Fixed a word....

4. Likes Philabuster, Fancuku liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    What? How can/do tell what its going to do? That'd drive me back to drinking. Is there some sort or simulation you can watch be you let'er rip?

Brent
    Yes. The machine will simulate the EXACT toolpath that is programmed. The machine also has a trace screen so you can actually watch the tools cut the graphical representation of the part on the screen in real time when the machine is cutting chips. Just one quick glance at the graphics can tell you where the machine is at when running a program.

There is also a distance to go screen and the machine has the next block coming up in it's buffer so you can see what is going to happen next, but that screen is not "visual" enough for me. The trace screen is pretty cool and has remained essentially unchanged from the T-2 control up to the newest Smooth-X control.

6. Likes yardbird, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    Yes. The machine will simulate the EXACT toolpath that is programmed. The machine also has a trace screen so you can actually watch the tools cut the graphical representation of the part on the screen in real time when the machine is cutting chips. Just one quick glance at the graphics can tell you where the machine is at when running a program.
    I can vouch for that! This weekend I was doing some quick internal threading it was a spark plug boss for the jet engine my son is making (another story). he did not have a tap and I figured time for a little father son time so we went out and programmed it up on my lathe. I used a spent single thread mill for an internal threading tool. On the last cut retract the simulation was retracting going much father back than the rest. I figured must be a bug in the simulation. Not so! First time in snap! Good thing it only snapped off one tooth.

8. Likes Philabuster, Fancuku, yardbird, kevin66 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Phil that would be great! There is a guy that was starting such a project on youtube. Not sure how far he got I need to look his videos up.

Several things come to mind right of the bat.

1. Step by step process between writing and running a new program. Including-
    - Tool setup
    - Don't forget to program z=0 for the program (my first very painful experience with my mazak)
    - Don't forget that the program you were just editing needs to be specified in auto mode (don't run the wrong program- I just did this the other day, one more $65 boring bar gone)
    - Always, always, always simulate
    - Recheck Z=0, chuck jaws (almost messed this up today- messed up a slight manual z=0 position change, simulation caught it)
    - etc

2. I still am not 100% sure what I am doing in all cases setting up tools. Especially drill bits.

3. Misc gotchas- Like the spurious last cut retract on internal threading, grooving, and boring?

10. Likes Philabuster, yardbird liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    I figured must be a bug in the simulation. Not so! First time in snap! Good thing it only snapped off one tooth.
    The older controls like the T-2 do have a bug in the software when it comes to internal threading and internal grooving. The machine will retract to whatever the top line of the program (Pno 0) has in it for ID min. If the ID min is zero, the last pass of the threading will retract to X0.

To get around this issue, make the ID min the same size as the thread minor diameter.

12. Likes yardbird, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    Thanks Phil that would be great! There is a guy that was starting such a project on youtube. Not sure how far he got I need to look his videos up.

Several things come to mind right of the bat.

1. Step by step process between writing and running a new program. Including-
    - Tool setup
    - Don't forget to program z=0 for the program (my first very painful experience with my mazak)
    - Don't forget that the program you were just editing needs to be specified in auto mode (don't run the wrong program- I just did this the other day, one more $65 boring bar gone)
    - Always, always, always simulate
    - Recheck Z=0, chuck jaws (almost messed this up today- messed up a slight manual z=0 position change, simulation caught it)
    - etc

2. I still am not 100% sure what I am doing in all cases setting up tools. Especially drill bits.

3. Misc gotchas- Like the spurious last cut retract on internal threading, grooving, and boring?
    Exactly.

The 3 biggest things that can get you are the things the toolpath does NOT catch.

1) Did you call up the correct program on the run side?
    2) Did you probe the tools after you installed them in the turret?
    3) Did you set the Z workshift for the program?

All three things can be verified quickly in one simple step: Go to the trace screen and manually jog the first tool being called up in the program close to the face of the part. Look at the trace screen and verify the tool Z value matches where the tool is at next to the part. If the tool is almost at Z0, the machine should reflect that--not be off by an inch. Get in the habit of verifying the work number in the trace screen (run side) is the program work number on the edit side.

One final warning, if the machine changes tools after you hit cycle start, you are not running the correct program!

14. Likes yardbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can also vouch for tool setup, especially the cutting angle and tool tip angle.
    That is also a place where you can lie to the control to do things Mazatrol doesn't want you do.

The TPC screen is something I use more for boring now.
    A trick I've already learned from this forum, is to utilize the stock size input and enter a minimum ID even if one doesn't exist yet.
    Both that and the TPC will allow me to bore long skinny holes with minimal tool clearance when I only want the tip to come a few thou off the material when it retracts.

Moving ops around in the layout screen, although dangerous, is also a great tool to have.

I'll have to look through my favorites to see all the threads I saved with little tips and tricks that proved priceless over the years.
    Props for wanting to put this together! I know when I started it would have been invaluable.

Edit: I know this isn't programming, but for those of us with old used machines, some mechanical stuff might be good.
    Leveling the lathe, tool eye calibration, checking spindle alignment, turret alignment and checking X and "Y" zero on tool pockets, etc.

16. Likes Philabuster, yardbird liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The other guy i saw doing some mazatrol vids on youtube calls himself everything cnc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bigpappy View Post
    The TPC screen is something I use more for boring now.
    I really wish the T-2 control had the TPC.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TPC

20. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a cool little trick I learned. Unfortunately, you cant do it with a T-2, but with any newer control it works- the deep boring cycle ( Bar in #3 ) allows you to cut a deep bore in steps. In other words, if you have a 2 inch diameter hole 6 inches deep, you can break that up into a cycle that will bore that hole in increments ( set by parameter ) of say, .5. Works great for boring. If you have a long thin workpiece, you can do the same with O.D. turning. But wait, there is no Bar out #3 . Just write it like a Bar in cycle #3 then change the in to out. Pretty cool

22. Likes Philabuster, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might go over how to use the tool file ( T-2 ). For some reason, most people have a hard time understanding it.

24. Likes Philabuster, Pete Deal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the T-2, manual processes between the Mazatrol units can help make up for not having TPC.

Just always be careful with the Change Point! (0 or 1, and it’s very important.)

26. Likes Pete Deal, Philabuster, edge22, kevin66 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    For the T-2, manual processes between the Mazatrol units can help make up for not having TPC.

Just always be careful with the Change Point! (0 or 1, and it’s very important.)
    Yep. I've done a lot of manual processes over the years aka MNP. TPC is great when you have some funky geometry and need to control the approach and retract vectors differently than the standard moves. Sans TPC, you need to MNP to manually control all of the tool moves for a given operation. It's essentially "G-code lite".

I do use MNP all the time--for example, when using an insert drill and also when performing a cut off and bar pull operation and these are examples where even if I had TPC it would not be applicable. I will definitely highlight the capabilities of the manual process.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    I haven't created my YouTube channel just yet. I'm not very savvy in that department. Plan is to shoot the videos and do the post processing / editing this coming weekend if everything falls into place.
    Well, had to postpone this weekend's video shoot to next week. Cameraman fell ill.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shot some video a week ago and again this past weekend. We have the intro video finished and about 5 more additional videos to edit so far. Going to be a few days until everything is finished and ready for prime time though.

I'll be sure to post up a link when the initial videos are finished, but this is by no means the only videos I'm going to make. I have a BUNCH of content to get through and I've really only scratched the surface so far on programming with Mazatrol.

Stay tuned...

30. Likes Silent_Man, edge22, cnctoolcat, Pete Deal liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post

My first crash on a Mazak lathe was this exact thing!!! I knew to put a 1 their but forgot. I have no idea what you would use a o for but to crash!

32. Likes Pete Deal liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if your T3 has the TPS feature or not but that is a helpful feature to see demonstrated.

34. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin66 View Post
    Not sure if your T3 has the TPS feature or not but that is a helpful feature to see demonstrated.
    Yes, it sure does. I'll be sure to demonstrate it.

Actually, Mazak introduced the TPS and the VFC buttons way back on the T-1 control.

36. Likes kevin66 liked this post