What's new
What's new

Mazatrol Lathe Training Videos--Need Your Ideas Please

Philabuster

Diamond
Hey Guys,

I'm planning on making a bunch of Mazatrol lathe training videos and posting them on YouTube in the near future because I keep getting requests via PMs to make some videos. Searching around on YouTube yields very little in the way of Mazatrol videos so I can definitely see there is a need for this.

I have a bunch of ideas for "advanced" programming methods--tips and tricks I have learned, but I don't really know what types of things you guys would actually like to see. Nobody has asked for anything specific. :confused:

I'm going to enlist the help of a friend of mine who is a cinematographer by trade to film and edit these videos, so these will be professional grade training aids and not shot with a shaky cell phone.

I would appreciate you guys posting up some ideas for lathe video content in this thread as you guys will be my target audience.

Thanks. :cheers:

Phil

Set up tools.
Input tool geometry.
Program a simple toolpath. (Simple shaft)
Program a taper
Program radius and chamfer
Program threads
Input tool wear and tool nose radius
Canned cycles
Roughing cycles
Subroutines
Live tooling (if available)

(b.t.w., I don’t run a Mazak)

You could make a series where you just go through each cycle?
1) Turning
1.1) Face
1.2) Bar
1.3) Thread
1.4) Groove
2) Live Tooling
2.1) Point machining
2.2) Line.....
etc..

Then it would be easy for anyone on Mazatrol to find exactly what they are looking for and easy for you to find out what you've covered :P

Does a 'regular' lathe use the different tool offsets like 1a-b-c-d etc? If so it would be a good idea to cover that IMO. Going from fanuc (d1 or t101) to that style is confusing.

Awesome cant wait to see what you come up with. We all can always learn from each other.
How about some info on tool data tool geometry.
I know in some cases I have had to lie about the geometry of the tool for the machine to make the part.

Live tooling with c and y axis. Various programming examples of both.

I'm going to be making these videos in my home shop on my 33 year old QT10N ATC/MC with T-3 control. The machine does have live tooling ie C-axis, but does not have a Y-axis. For now, I'm going to concentrate on the lathe side as that seems to be where all the questions come from. Nice thing about Mazatrol is almost everything I will demonstrate on the old control is applicable to any newer control up to and including the latest Smooth X control.

Does a 'regular' lathe use the different tool offsets like 1a-b-c-d etc? If so it would be a good idea to cover that IMO. Going from fanuc (d1 or t101) to that style is confusing.

I will go over tool offsets, but on this machine they are rather simple. Thanks for the input.

Transfer Transfer Transfer

Sorry bud, I'm not allowed to film at work. Otherwise, I could do much more cool things on our Integrex i-400S with the Smooth X control like transfer the workpiece from head 1 to head 2, but that's just not something I can do on my old junk at home. :fight:

Internal grooving on the sub spindle.
To be clear, my machine at home does not have a sub-spindle.

Truth be told, the tailstock is not even operational. I haven't spent the time to pull it out and address the issues with it. It's just disconnected at the moment so I'm not going to be doing any tailstock shaft type videos on this machine either. My larger ST30 ATC/MC machine does have a working tailstock, but probably going to concentrate the videos filming everything on the smaller machine.

As you already know I'm Mazak stupid. Put up a link to your YouTube channel. I will definitely watch your videos. :cheers:

Brent

As you already know I'm Mazak stupid. Put up a link to your YouTube channel. I will definitely watch your videos. :cheers:

Brent

I haven't created my YouTube channel just yet. I'm not very savvy in that department. :dunce: Plan is to shoot the videos and do the post processing / editing this coming weekend if everything falls into place.

From the feedback so far, it looks like I also need to make a series of videos on how anyone with no training can walk up to a Mazak and make parts. Mazatrol 101 so to speak.

I haven't created my YouTube channel just yet. I'm not very savvy in that department. :dunce: Plan is to shoot the videos and do the post processing / editing this coming weekend if everything falls into place.

From the feedback so far, it looks like I also need to make a series of videos on how anyone with no training can walk up to a Mazak and make parts. Mazatrol 101 so to speak.

Please don't do that, or at least don't word it that way. I have been machining for going on 25 years now, 10+ in manual, and the last of it with 99% Fanuc controls. It may be obvious to 'you mazatrol guys' but it is not obvious to the rest of us. Bar IN and Bar OUT are/were meaningless to me, until I did some stuff with a Mazak (of course I got thrown in head first with an Integrex but..), it is like/similar to a fanuc guy saying "duh :D G43 h10 z2.) is calling the H (height-length) offset and G41 d10 is the dia comp offset (not to mention, whether you are using control, computer, wear, etc) and a fanuc lathe is t1010 for comps- compared to heidenhein (?) Heidenhain Programming - CNC Training Centre

( I don't know crap about heidenhein or okuma controls so they would both be foreign/alien to me)

Please don't do that, or at least don't word it that way.

Got it. I should have said no Mazatrol training.

I've been machining since 1991 and been programming Mazatrol since 1996. I'm not a Mazak salesman, but sometimes I feel like one when people ask me about my machine and what it can do. Lol. :cloud9:

Yardbird's post got me thinking these videos will be watched by people with NO Mazak experience, but I would assume people watching would have some type of machining experience in general.

I really didn't set out to do an intro to Mazatrol video, but on the other hand, I have never seen a video that showed the basics. The videos I did find didn't show all that much.

My original intent was to highlight and show some of the neat tricks I learned along the way that is not in the programming manuals.

I’d be interested in your videos,

I have just bought a Hyundai QT-15N which is really a Mazak and it has the
MAZATROL T32-B, i am going to try and do a program this week, I’ve never used a mazatrol before, and only have a little cnc experience

Thanks
Marc

I’d be interested in your videos,

I have just bought a Hyundai QT-15N which is really a Mazak and it has the
MAZATROL T32-B, i am going to try and do a program this week, I’ve never used a mazatrol before, and only have a little cnc experience

Thanks
Marc
One very important thing to remember with Mazatrol, the program you create is NOT going to be the program the machine runs until you actually call it up on the run side. :codger:

Back