What's new
What's new

Mazatrol Threading Question

Pete Deal

Titanium
A customer has a new product he wants me to make. It's a little sort-of auger type thing. OD is 8.5mm, hole through the middle, material is a hard chemical resistant plastic. Can't remember the name of it. He sent me some it looks like glue sticks, its translucent and hard so should machine nicely. My plan is to practice on 3/8" delrin since it's cheap.

Anyway the plan is to try to thread it in the lathe. The "thread" is 5mm pitch with a 3mm wide groove cut, 1mm deep. Sort-of a wide fast pitch acme thread. There is a 3.5mm hole down through the middle. I'm going to make a tip for my removable tip live center that make sort-of a mandrel to go down through the middle to support the part. I have lots of concerns about if this will work. I know I need to grind a cutting tool with about 20 degrees of relief on the leading edge. The other is will it be possible to get a good looking cut with such a wide tool on a small part.

My question is- In Mazatrol is it possible to recut the same thread with a little offset? This way I could use a narrower tool, say 1mm wide, and cut it a few times to get the width I need. I thought maybe by altering the start/end parameters of the thread it would be possible. Anybody know?

You can use different tool offset to widen the thread.
Or different start point in Z.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

That’s what I was thinking too. Thanks.

It’s probably an ideal swiss lathe part except the quantities are in the hundreds. Lots of flexibility in the design too so hopefully I can make it work.

Back