What's new
What's new

Minimal millingspindle speed in Mazatrol T3

benganboll

Hot Rolled
I have 2 T3 machines and they does not behave the same way with the milling speed.
My QuickTurn10ATC can start milling spindle at any speed both in manual and automatic mode.
My SlantTurn30ATC can start milling spindle at any speed in manual mode but in automatic mode I will get Alarm 217 if I start under 200rpm.
If I start spindle at 195rpm but have spindle at 110% it will work until I set it to 100% then I get alarm 217 again.
I cant find any parameter around 200 on my ST30 that is set different on my QT10.

I want to be able to run lower than 200rpm when taping.

what is description for this 217 alarm in machine manual?

have you got electrical drawing? 12.jpg

if you have ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM, when machine alarms 217, open DIAGNOSTIC screen and see the status all Hxx.x involved. Then you can see what machine is waiting for or doesnt like. In attachment you can see part of the ladder, to generate alarm 217 on ST30 machine ( someone sent me electrical drawing few months ago) , 217 is PLC generated alarm and easily traceable.

I put 3 arrows how this alarm can be created, top of the rang is alarm 217 trigger. Dont have to worry about it.

if you have a drawing, give us a picture of ALARM 217 and status of all H000.0 inputs involved and we can see what is going on , just like that

Last edited:
It was me :)

I understand how to read the H flags bits in the diagnostic page.
I also can find out what X and Y components are.
But I cant find what M and T are like:

MLINT
H078.5
M197

or

TLCC.T
H0B1.1
T 9

MLINT -name of the signal MILLING ROTATION INHIBIT
H078.5 - this is how you access it on diagnostic monitir
M197 - this is probably internal relay associated with this signal in ladder
10306 -that is where its source page 103, line 06. in your case right above the alarm

or

TLCC.T - T.timer TOOL CLAMP CONFIRMATION TIMER
H0B1.1 - diagnostic screen ( made or not made)
T 9 - type 9, depends on a number you can have 0.1 sec.. 1 sec and so on
4210 - source , page 42 , line 10 ( where you see this T9 timer loaded with K10 constant)

I have 2 T3 machines and they does not behave the same way with the milling speed.
My QuickTurn10ATC can start milling spindle at any speed both in manual and automatic mode.
My SlantTurn30ATC can start milling spindle at any speed in manual mode but in automatic mode I will get Alarm 217 if I start under 200rpm.
If I start spindle at 195rpm but have spindle at 110% it will work until I set it to 100% then I get alarm 217 again.
I cant find any parameter around 200 on my ST30 that is set different on my QT10.

I want to be able to run lower than 200rpm when taping.

the hp % available varies at different rpm. its possible at below minimum rpm even if the motor is 10hp at the low rpm there might only be less than 10% or 1 hp due to drive efficiency. common on variable frequency speed controllers, below a certain rpm the torque and or hp goes way down.
i have stalled spindle using big tap at slow rpm, it auto shutoff machine with overload alarm. it required turn everything back on, reset and zero return

I guess that is why the 200rpm limit is there but sometimes I want to go slower on bigger taps (if it goes well)

going slower using a gear box usually gives more torque
going slower with a variable frequency electronic speed control on the motor going slower usually give less torque often a lot less torque
there often in the operator manuals is a power output chart at different rpm. you can look up at certain rpm what kind of maximum torque and or hp available. stalling the motor or when speed control exceeds a certain percentage usually control will shutdown and alarm requiring restarting, and zero return or homing again. inconvenient if tap in hole and attached to spindle. usually got to disconnect tap and eventually use a wrench to get tap out of the hole assuming tap did not break

going slower using a gear box usually gives more torque
going slower with a variable frequency electronic speed control on the motor going slower usually give less torque often a lot less torque
there often in the operator manuals is a power output chart at different rpm. you can look up at certain rpm what kind of maximum torque and or hp available. stalling the motor or when speed control exceeds a certain percentage usually control will shutdown and alarm requiring restarting, and zero return or homing again. inconvenient if tap in hole and attached to spindle. usually got to disconnect tap and eventually use a wrench to get tap out of the hole assuming tap did not break

what is the alarm number when you stall it? that particular alarm 217 is coming form ladder diagram and easily traceable. No need to go wild with this and that. Anything MAzak reports on old machines from 200 up to 400 , sometimes higher is traceable and lead to particular signal, memory bit, parameter setting or data manipulation.

Back