What's new
What's new

Mitsubishi FR-SE spindle drive question

bda9865

Plastic
Hello to everyone,
First let me start by saying thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help with my problem. I've posted on here a few times before with issues that I've had with my machine and everyone has always answered with helpful advice and good suggestions. I own a 1986 Mazak QT10 with a T2 control and a FREQROL FR-SE-2-22K spindle drive, my problem is I was making a part when the machine gave two alarms #20 NMI emergency stop and and #204 spindle controller malfunction. I checked the spindle drive and there wasn't any lights on the power supply or the drive . It was completely dead. I called MEAU they sent me the procedures to check the drive and after following the procedures and talking to the Mitsubishi techs to confirm what I had found out,it was decided that my SE-PW power supply was bad. Just to be clear I have 220v on RO and SO that supplies the power to the power supply but the rest of the drive appears to be dead no led lights are lit on either board. I sent my power supply to Precision Zone and they confirmed that it was bad as well and rebuilt it and shipped it back to me. I put the rebuilt power supply back in the machine and same thing both alarms came on and none of the LED'S lights are lit on the spindle drive. Assuming the power supply is good my question is what am I missing? Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Brandon

Hello to everyone,
First let me start by saying thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help with my problem. I've posted on here a few times before with issues that I've had with my machine and everyone has always answered with helpful advice and good suggestions. I own a 1986 Mazak QT10 with a T2 control and a FREQROL FR-SE-2-22K spindle drive, my problem is I was making a part when the machine gave two alarms #20 NMI emergency stop and and #204 spindle controller malfunction. I checked the spindle drive and there wasn't any lights on the power supply or the drive . It was completely dead. I called MEAU they sent me the procedures to check the drive and after following the procedures and talking to the Mitsubishi techs to confirm what I had found out,it was decided that my SE-PW power supply was bad. Just to be clear I have 220v on RO and SO that supplies the power to the power supply but the rest of the drive appears to be dead no led lights are lit on either board. I sent my power supply to Precision Zone and they confirmed that it was bad as well and rebuilt it and shipped it back to me. I put the rebuilt power supply back in the machine and same thing both alarms came on and none of the LED'S lights are lit on the spindle drive. Assuming the power supply is good my question is what am I missing? Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Brandon

Have you checked the 3 fuses on the bottom corner of the drive? If they are dead then check the blower fan on the spindle motor.

first thanks for the reply and yeah I've checked the fuses and their good and the blower motor fan on the spindle motor was isolated per Mitsubishi test procedure to determine if it was the problem and it wasn't The spindle drive fans are working because they are hooked to the SO and RO lines and I can feel the air blowing off of them.
Thanks
Brandon

Your SE-IO1 card is likely bad, it can keep the power supply from powering up.

Unplug the top board and the SE-IO1, see if the center LED lights up on the power supply.

ToolCat

Hey ToolCat ,
Yeah I had my suspicions about that. I have called MEAU about the SE-I01 board several times with the question does the power supply need to be "loaded" with the SE-I01 card to work ? It says so in the trouble shooting procedure. However I've talked to 6 different techs and only 1 said without a doubt the card had to connected to the power supply for the SE-PW to work. The reason I called so many times is because they either told me to check something else or no you do not need the SE-I01 card for the power supply to work. I'm not trying to throw the techs under the bus because I do appreciate the help they gave me but I just can't help but think that most of the techs I talked to wasn't even alive when this machine was built and they struggle with the older stuff. Sorry to go on a rant but to answer your question I did unplug all of the Honda connections as well as connections 101,102 and 103 from the back of the SE-I01 board and still no LED came on on the power supply. I'll try to attach the trouble shooting procedure to this thread so at the very least it will be available for any one who might need it.

I know this is a longshot but have you tried pressing the hidden RESET button located on the front PC board of the FR-SE? My new to me machine had a 204 spindle alarm when I first got it, but the alarm went away after pressing that little reset button.

Worth a shot.

Attachments

• 20200713_113737_resized.jpg
    20200713_113737_resized.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200713_113753_resized.jpg
    20200713_113753_resized.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 114
No I have not pressed the reset button because I wasn't sure what I would be resetting. Through all of the conversations with the MEAU techs they never mentioned about the reset button. Of course to be fair maybe they thought I was smart enough to try that first. I'll give it a try and let y'all know if it works. That still doesn't answer why the 204 alarm came up to start with. Also I have tried to attach the FR-SE trouble shoot the no led condition to this thread with out any luck . The file is over the size limit allowed per website rules. Does anyone know another way to attach it to this thread or is it even worth it? I thought it might be useful for any one else who might have the same problems now or in the future.
Thanks
Brandon

Hi! I have the same problem. Can you tell me what you did? Thanks in advance!
Check all the connectors where the SE-PW power supply is connected to the board. I had kind of the same problem. The power supply's led would not turn on. I changed it and the problem continued until I noticed one of the connectors on the se-i01 had a burnt input. Just scratched a little bit and now is back working. By the way that power supply does need a load to turn on

Back