What's new
What's new

More problems programming my T1, please help!

mmurray70

Stainless
Hi guys, trying to cut a taper with a rad at each end but its leaving a big flat, the radius is not tangent to the taper at all. See attached pics for the program and dimensions of the part im trying to make. Also see the detail sketch of the problem im getting.

The part is already drilled/bored 1.5" diameter 4.696 deep before this operation. I just programmed it with Bar In and three tapers. I thought this would be easy. What am I doing wrong? Does Mazatrol not work the way im thinking or is my T1 control too dumb to figure out proper tangent points?

Attachments

• rad problem.jpg
    rad problem.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 97
  • prog with rad problem.jpg
    prog with rad problem.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 126
Ok I got the part done. I removed the starting rad from the taper and programmed it as a convex rad instead. Took a few extra minutes to work out all the points but it worked better this way.

Shouldn't this have worked the first way?

First, yeah, the T1 is a little cranky.. It is OLD.. I think its an incredible piece of
technology for the early 80's... But its not the "smartest", and it does have some quirks
that you don't have to worry about on a newer version of the control.

The way I would have done it...

I always put every 'line' in the program.. I don't let it try to get from here to there by itself..

You have TPR-TPR-TPR... I would have TPR-LN-TPR-LN-TPR-LN, the extra lines are just to get from the end of
one taper to the beginning of the other.

One other thing I would have done different.. Finish corner gave me fits at one point in time, so I just
never use it.. Since I define every line, I just use the start corner.

It shouldn't have a problem putting a clean radius from a line to a taper, I've never had a problem with it.

First, yeah, the T1 is a little cranky.. It is OLD.. I think its an incredible piece of
technology for the early 80's... But its not the "smartest", and it does have some quirks
that you don't have to worry about on a newer version of the control.

The way I would have done it...

I always put every 'line' in the program.. I don't let it try to get from here to there by itself..

You have TPR-TPR-TPR... I would have TPR-LN-TPR-LN-TPR-LN, the extra lines are just to get from the end of
one taper to the beginning of the other.

One other thing I would have done different.. Finish corner gave me fits at one point in time, so I just
never use it.. Since I define every line, I just use the start corner.

It shouldn't have a problem putting a clean radius from a line to a taper, I've never had a problem with it.

Ok using every line makes more sense to me anyway. Thats the way I was initially doing things but every sample program I see tends to skip the vertical sections. I found this confusing at first but starting to get it now. Maybe I should go back to defining every line. Thats also helpful about the start/end rads. I always thought it was strange that it was basically asking for the same rad twice.

I guess the T1 is impressive for the age, but man this thing has some serious issues. If anybody else is considering buying one of these try and at least find yourself a T2. Especially if your in an area with lots of machines to choose from.

the vert line means nothing..... you need to focus on your start point X Z and and end point X Z .
anything vertical in a lathe is redundant.
On another note if you spend some time in far east everything would make sense LOL as Mazatrol programing goes.

Last edited:

Back