What's new
What's new

Mazak Quick Turn 15 tailstock issues ???

rockfish

Titanium
Since the day I bought my Mazak Quick Turn 15, I have never understood how to use the tailstock. When I try to use the tailstock, my toolpath wants to cut right through it. If I use tailstock barrier......the tool get's within 4" of the tailstock and stops. I can't get anywhere near the part. I have changed the parameter so that my tool goes straight back in X, then moves back in Z....but that has not made any change when the tool comes INTO the part..... it goes diagonally.

Is there a parameter that I'm missing or something else ???

Whenever I run a long part that needs the center, I wind up single stepping each and ever feature.......which leads to mistakes. You forget one time to manually bring that tool near the front of the part, and it tries to run a path right through the live center. I broke..... yet another $150 groove tool and I'm pissed.

Being self taught on these things is not fun.

Frank

Self teach yourself the simplist of TPC (TOOL PATH CONTROL) Program your turning unit, cursor babk to the beginning of the unit, then press the TPC soft key. Cursor past the normal parameters to the MANUAL area, enter 6 for X, 0 for Z, then tpc end. Your tool will now avoid the t.s. A bit of experimenting and you can do anything!

Red,

Not trying to sound stupid.......but your going to have to dumb that explanation down a notch or two for me. I have no idea what TPC is and have never used it. Everything you wrote went right over my head. Remember, I have NOBODY to go to and ask questions, other than this place, so even though I run the machine nearly every day, there is a TON of stuff I know nothing about because I simply don't have anyone to ask and the manuals make ZERO sense and are mostly useless.

Frank

TPC is a feature that allows you to fine tune parameters for a single process. In this case, entry and exit points. TPC is a powerful tool for many other things (for example drill retract distances when cutting stringy materials), but it sucks to use it every time just to avoid crashing into the tailstock. Forget it *once* like a coworker did and you have another $1000 dent.

TPC is a feature that allows you to fine tune parameters for a single process. In this case, entry and exit points. TPC is a powerful tool for many other things (for example drill retract distances when cutting stringy materials), but it sucks to use it every time just to avoid crashing into the tailstock. Forget it *once* like a coworker did and you have another $1000 dent.

when using the tailstock one simply DOES NOT FORGET TPC's. I break the program up into serveral programs and link them together so i ONLY have ops that require the tailstock in that associated program. That way if somebody hits reset and then cycle start a drill or something else doesnt go and smack into the tailstock

One thing i figured out today was you can edit the tpc from the layout page on a t plus controller. Simply highlight the required process and hit the edit tpc softkey rather that edit every unit in the program itself

A quick and simple way to avoid the tailstock is to put a large diameter in your "MAX OD", on the very first line of your program.
Irregardless of what OD your part stock is, you can put 8" in the first line, and all the OD tools will stay outside a cylinder of 8" diameter when approaching the part. (Generally you're not using ID tools with the tailstock up in the way.)
In your program cutting units, you still use the actual start-cutting diameter, CPT-X, thus this little trick wastes no time cutting air.
ToolCat

Philabuster,

If you read the old thread, you will see that I was never able to get it to do what everyone was suggesting. If I recall correctly, the machine attempted to start cutting at 8", or it would just alarm out.

I will try it again..... but I had no luck the last time, and finally gave up.

Frank

Here's the program.......and a photo of where my threading tool was on it's toolpath toward cutting through my live center, just prior to me slamming the e-stop. It does not matter what stock size I use, the toolpath comes in on a diagonal right through the live center.

Frank

Attachments

• 20150521_150129.jpg
    20150521_150129.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 541
  • 20150521_150152.jpg
    20150521_150152.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 407
cnctoolcat,

I must have a parameter different on my machine than yours. When I hit cycle start, even with 8" called out as my stock size, my machine rapids diagonally to wherever the CPT number is, then moves in X and Z. It will, quite literally, run it's toolpath right through the live center. However, when the tool is finished, it will retract in Z to whatever the parameter is for clearance, then it rapids straight back in X to 8", then makes a move in Z to home position. So, it does work exactly the way you describe it when it rapids toward home.......but not when it rapids toward the part.

This is why I gave up the last time I asked about this. I have just been working around it by single stepping each and every feature on long parts that I use a tailstock on (remember..... I'm not doing production, but it still slows me down).

Frank

put the cursor on the top line for that process, push the right soft key, then tpc. go down to the approach and exit points and change auto to manual, then specify your own entry and exit points. for processes that have roughing and finishing you have to specify these for BOTH even though its on the same unit

eg.

http://machsys.com/images/stories/TPCeditcompressed.jpg

Last edited:
I like the solution from cnctoolcat, I will try that myself next time using the tailstock on my QT10N.
I did a manual line with G00 X200 z2 (metric) and specified the tool the next process will use before using a new tool.

I am having an issue related to TPC. Every time I use TPC, I get an over travel alarm when the machine goes to do a tool change.

Back