What's new
What's new

Need advice for moving a mazak M4 lathe

Preparation is key to success. Be sure you have a clear space to put it and clear a wide open path to bring it in through. A forklift with enough lifting capacity and long enough forks to reach clear across the machine. If you can’t fit the forklift through the door, get some rollers to set it on to be able to push it into location. Then use bottle jacks to lift it of the rollers and set it on the floor.

Or, you could hire some professionals and save yourself a lot of stress and headache

I meant more like specific lifting points for this machine, location of CG, things to watch out for. Things prone to get bent. It is going to have to go in lengthwise with the head stock on the wrong end of the forks so I have everything working against me.

I would skate it in. Rent skates. No way you want to lift from the tail stock end with a forklift. It is pretty long and way heavy on the headstock side. Moved one into my shop on with a tow companies roll back tow truck with the help of a forum member who might chime in. Rolled it off on skates using the tow trucks winch. My short one weighed over 11k. I would think a 15 k forklift would be absolute minimum if you really have to lift it. A look in the manual shows the machine is intended to be lifted overhead. Not well set up for forklift. A rigger did lift mine from the front with a 15k lift so doable but it was a big wide dual tire lift and still looked sketchy to me..

Back