What's new
What's new

Need a new machine

Dbean

Plastic
Hey everyone!
I’ve been a PM reader for a while and finally joined and would like to see if anyone has a machine I could buy. I’ve found a sqt-10m with live tooling and some accessories for $15k that’s a 3 hour drive from Oklahoma City (where I am).
I need a small machine that can turn titanium and cross drill as well as some basic milling. Largest dia is .625 and length is less than 3 inches.
Any suggestions or recommendations?
I currently have a home built machine running centroid cnc and need to ramp up production and add some automation. I’m limited on spindle speed, bar length, and continually run into issues with spindle vibration and tool offsets so I would like a big boy machine.

The SQT's are solid machines, the 10 being the smallest with 6" chuck. It has a stout integral spindle, and the 10M will have live milling and a tailstock. Live milling in that generation was limited in rpm's, maybe 3 or 4,000...

I started with a new SQT15 in '97. Mistake I made was not getting the live-tool version, as mine was just a 2-axis. But what a machine it was, big integral spindle, big castings, big ballscrews. Only sold it to get a larger QT.

$15k is a fair price for an SQT-10M in decent condition. Make sure you hear the spindle, if it's been crashed a lot they can be loud...and expensive to have rebuilt. They do have nice-sized 12-station turrets, so that's a big plus for clearance.

ToolCat

Thanks Toolcat!
Listing says it got a new spindle assembly 5 years ago. The videos they had posted sounded really good. Video being what it is. It’s currently sitting in a warehouse not under power.
As far as live tooling, I’m really only making .25” holes which I’m assuming it can handle.
One thing they are telling me is that it weighs 3600# and I’m seeing 9000# everywhere else. My trailer can do 5000# so I’m trying to confirm that with the warehouse.
Thanks again!

One thing they are telling me is that it weighs 3600# and I’m seeing 9000# everywhere else. My trailer can do 5000# so I’m trying to confirm that with the warehouse.

Having hauled a few QT15's myself ... I wouldn't even consider putting one near your trailer. I had a 10k rated trailer when I bought my first QT15 that weighed 10k lbs. I rented a 15k trailer and I wished I had more trailer under it even then. There is a lot of weight concentrated in a small area. Unlike a car which you have concentrated weight, but spread around the 4 corners of the trailer. I load my heavy machine tools right on cross members and put steel plates underneath them. Even then I still sometimes get smooshed wood.

SQT is a pretty good machine. Keep in mind that it is a lathe with some milling capabilities, not a milling machine. Milling titanium is probably stretching the rigidity on a SQT, but I am sure the driven tools would handle drilling titanium all day long. Mazak is great with replacement parts even on the older machines. Mazatrol is a piece of pie to work with, once you understand its limitations.

Having hauled a few QT15's myself ... I wouldn't even consider putting one near your trailer. I had a 10k rated trailer when I bought my first QT15 that weighed 10k lbs. I rented a 15k trailer and I wished I had more trailer under it even then. There is a lot of weight concentrated in a small area. Unlike a car which you have concentrated weight, but spread around the 4 corners of the trailer. I load my heavy machine tools right on cross members and put steel plates underneath them. Even then I still sometimes get smooshed wood.

Ya me too when the wife is not in the mood hahaha! :rolleyes5::hole:

Back