What's new
What's new

New Mazak Purchase

sp1

Plastic
I just received a quote on a new machine from the local Mazak dealer which is a corporate tech center . The salesman said that the price is FOB Kentucky and that I would have to arrange transport from Kentucky to where I am 2170 miles away. Is this normal practice to not be able to pick the machine up from the local warehouse and to have to pay for transport from the factory?

Whatever the deal you will be paying for transport whether hidden in the price, explicit delivery charge or having to make your own arrangements.

Brand new has never been on my radar but, to my way of thinking, delivery is one of the things you pay a dealer to arrange. Most especially for a brand new machine. With something the size, value and complexity of a modern CNC I'd want a turnkey package of delivery, installation and checkout. Not paying the balance until the thing is working as demonstrated by verified test parts.

If something does go tits up, unlikely with a Mazak, the last thing you need is a multi-party wrangle over whose fault it is and who should pay for testing. Agreeing to do your own transport, rigging and installation pretty much puts all the risk on you.

Clive

The new Mazak lathe and mill I just bought were delivered by a transportation company Mazak hired and delivery was added on to my bill. So Mazak owned it from factory to unloading. My guess is that they select machinery movers that meet their standards, know who they are working with, have proper insurance. Keeps the guys who think they can put a 12,000 pound/200k lathe in their F350 from showing up.

We took delivery of a new Mazak horizontal last week, but it was a Japanese machine, not out of their Kentucky factory. They handled all of the customs/import in Newport News, VA and coordinated freight, though we are responsible for paying the freight payment. We also had to coordinate rigging (I don't think many MTB's handle rigging, though they may be able to offer suggestions). Riggers are all heavily insured, which is a large portion of what you're paying for.

Back