What's new
What's new

New (to me) machine day! Error 28 t32-6

xa-mont

Hot Rolled
Hey guys.

Just got my new (to me) multiplex 630 (t32-6) delivered today. Hooked the bad boy up to power and air and the pump got up to pressure, so I got phasing right on the first go, so that's a win. But once the controller is up and running I get a 128 estop fault, quickly followed by a 28 print circuit board error. At which point none of the buttons will do anything, and I also have an e7 fault on 2 of the axis amp boards, and on one of the spindle drives.

Any tips for what to check first?

Cheers,
Trav

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

That's an awful lot of errors. You got the phasing correct, but is the machine internal power transformer tapped correctly for your particular incoming voltage?

That's an awful lot of errors. You got the phasing correct, but is the machine internal power transformer tapped correctly for your particular incoming voltage?

So i'm a step closer - the buttons not working was some water in the boards on the HMI... because the transport company didn't tarp it the night before it was due to be dropped off and it got rained on a bit :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: but i cleaned them up and buttons are working fine now.

Here's what i get on the diag screen - so it appears it's something on HD1 causing the dramas, which would also explain why 1 spindle drive and 2 axis amps have E7 on them.

DSC_0860.jpg
(side note: what a pretty new LCD screen you have)

As for incoming voltage - all of australia is 415 3ph, so the transformer would have been tapped the same from the beginning of time :D

Did this machine have a bar feeder hooked up? If so it may be seeing the bar feeder e-stop circuit and throwing other alarms from that.

As for incoming voltage - all of australia is 415 3ph, so the transformer would have been tapped the same from the beginning of time :D

So you are asssssuming it was correct from the last guy? With all those alarms, might be a good idea to verify it is tapped correctly before you start throwing money at it. Just sayin. ;)

So you are asssssuming it was correct from the last guy? With all those alarms, might be a good idea to verify it is tapped correctly before you start throwing money at it. Just sayin. ;)

I checked it just to be sure. It was tapped for 440v, so i tapped it for 415v (actual line voltage is ~408v) with no change. i then checked my other machines and one is tapped for 415 and the other for 440, so i think the difference it would make must still be within the standard +-10% most electrical stuff runs on happily.

so turns out i was barking WAY up the wrong tree.

After a chat with Phil Edmond (of Edmond CNC service - and a super great guy who's helped me out over the phone stacks of times! I even repaired my car in his driveway once when he wasn't home, but that's a whole other story :P) i found that the other spindle drive was the one with the fault. I was too busy chasing the 3 E7's to even look at the other drive (which incidentally is Head 1)

The fault it was throwing was 17. I went down the troubleshooting path from there.

Original issue - fault on the left hand drive, indicated as HD1
Swapped cables between the 2 drives - fault stayed at the left hand drive (now indicated as HD2 on the screen) - eliminating anything downstream as the issue
swapped the daughter board - fault stayed at the left hand drive - eliminating that as the issue
swapped the whole SF-CA board - fault stayed at the left hand drive. - indicating that it's something on the incoming side of the drive that's the problem.

I put everything back as it originally was and went about checking some things.

Incoming voltage on both sides of the CB and the fuses behind the bottom panel were all good.
Every test point on the SF-CA that i could find a voltage reading for in the maint. manual for the FR-SE.

any other suggestions of what to check? i'll do some more reading tonight in the hopes that it shines some light on something.

Cheers,
Trav

Maybe you made a typo, but you can’t use the manual for an FR-SE drive to get the voltages for a SF-CA card.

Why?

The SF-CA card is used on the newer FR-SF drives!

It could be a power supply (SF-PW) issue with your spindle drive.

The FR-SF manual has a pinout diagram for the SF-PW. You must have the SF-CA card attached to get true readings — any low DC voltages could be your issue.

Also, the spring clips on the SF-CA card may not be making solid contact to the power supply pins.
(Toothpicks can help to increase tension and thus contact).

Gotta try to narrow it down to a servo or spindle drive, and for certain which head it is on....

Maybe you made a typo, but you can’t use the manual for an FR-SE drive to get the voltages for a SF-CA card.

Why?

The SF-CA card is used on the newer FR-SF drives!

It could be a power supply (SF-PW) issue with your spindle drive.

The FR-SF manual has a pinout diagram for the SF-PW. You must have the SF-CA card attached to get true readings — any low DC voltages could be your issue.

Also, the spring clips on the SF-CA card may not be making solid contact to the power supply pins.
(Toothpicks can help to increase tension and thus contact).

Gotta try to narrow it down to a servo or spindle drive, and for certain which head it is on....

Yeah typo. It's an FR-SF, and so is the manual I was looking in.

I read your suggestion of tightening the springs in another thread so I'll give that a crack, and I'll sus out the SF-PW voltages today as well.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of it and get this best pumping out parts

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

FIXED FIXED FIXED!!!!!!

Again thanks to Phil Edmond who called me this morning after thinking on it overnight. (he has such great knowledge of the older mazak's that he doesn't even need to be looking at it to troubleshoot it :P)

Here was the culprit!

GOO_9mauQ1DxBriqkpJHS6NgW9Hb_OwHmTjbCJho0dJ-2KLRumwV8rK19HVUcLOnMEDnpAT4V4gTy1Qo3HP5zqxiIbNOtxdnFPGTIQ-V2LuT-tYCdsrygcgNJPaG7BitAl7RQ_YssbxVSsNCUL7BLG1U-Z7qezPMfOgt9dEeQ7DNsAvUs5x7wbeh5W3X50iu5om58KAPiAtmEt8bKZu0MowXgP7ralg4C33G1Y7Wcqz6M16l4pVILogM9WfCVBIVV4iZltS5FHGU8jhBJnbvl_i8oheCzUOtf-P_hFbXcao2TT6CVUVWsYC5hwgceGstmlbyFE6ULH3uZwWQBPJ03ZszL3LQNtmPPdKH4GHOPlPPNKAV1Eh0bSbBqHT6iA1oOHYSuy8EHCrEu6Tr3Om1b8hZmifLD_DPRu8oXuFLg1yDwYWwtaLtmhembcOX5yNPibZ2EU9W0_Gfa56FCnGSkom0ClfHhRC_vwAxKwAaSobmyVdWAaFm48OApP5zQxX9H7w0GTJyiafUc_cfZIeRc-MmK1ZU3QKUWScTOJEAqnfGF2rfjH7-aXYjPSkVF7ign028i-M4P1KlItOXbOkC0lXkY79kw5qufOLa7bSzM903J4P3OKNatE6WywZlkwMuFpdOql_FzbP6CG_oa3NWUuksI4v4dlx_=w730-h1297-no

it wasn't pulling in on the drive showing the fault - i swapped it to the other drive and both came up fine! so i can only assume it was a shitty connection on this relay/contactor (at what point does a relay become a contactor? they're basically performing the same function?)

now i'm all powered up - homed out. spindles sound MINT (absolutely silent!) axis all move nicely - tools change nicely - both C axis C axises nicely :D

now for the next round of issues.

Tried running the milling spindle on the HD1 and the motor cranks up and i can hear air (? i think) pulsing, which i assume pulls in the coupling for the milling tools, but after a bit it faults out with a coupling sensor error (assuming because it hasn't pulled in, as the actual tool isn't spinning at all)

AND, what is probably going to be a fair bit of digging - the milling spindle on HD2 is seized up, i can't spin the motor that drives it (i'll disconnect the belts and check which side is seized, motor or turret) if someone could post pictures of the milling connection setup so i can sus how much stuff around it'll be if it's on the turret end that would be awesome!

Cheers,
Trav

Back