What's new
What's new

the new small 5 axis mazak over a HAAS?

dvice

Hot Rolled
we are looking to get a small verticle cnc machine capable of doing 5 axis work. we dont do big stuff hardly at all...its all medical fixtureing... we have been doing multiple setup with several HAAS machines now using 4th axis and conventional machinging...we hav a lather and two vmcs.

the mazak would be new for us, its more money...the boss likes it....why should we get it? its about $40K over the same thing in a HAAS machine...but i dont doubt that the mazak would be a better, longer lasting machine...but since we dont work our machine shard anyway. the HAASs have been lasting and running great even after 15 years.

we dont have a lot of room for the machine so we can do the large frame machines...its VF2 size or smaller....but we would like to have a vice set up and the 5th axis rotary as well..IF POSSIBLE...because the percentage of 5 axis work is maybe 5-8%....but we want to do it!!!

Id hate to give up that machine capacity just having it sit, because the 5 axis tooling is so heavy to remove and replace.

we dont know mazak at all.....so ill ask here..

its all light cuts drilling and milling grooves and slots ect....no mold work or castings.....no production...just tooling

hope to here from you. i realize they have only made about 10 of these new machines so far.but you guys might know about MAZAK in general

bob

Just wondering, which Mazak model is it? if its only 40K more than the haas I doubt its a variaxis? and if it is, Haas doesn't have anything that comes anywhere close to that as far as I know. So, I'm just curious if mazak has a whole new machine that might make it on their website by next year ?

Best of luck with the purchase.

Boss was just in Japan last week. He was telling me about a new variaxis model that is NOT a full 5 axis. Has .001 degree positioning on both rotary axes & pricing under 200k.
Makes a lot of sense since a lot ppl are mainly doing 3+2 axis work.

I believe the OP is referring to the new VCN-Compact. It's a small footprint 5-axis VMC. We've also been looking at them but need a bit more Z room than is currently offered. The VCN-Compact is specifically geared toward the medical field and it is very reasonably priced for a 5 axis machine.

200K...lol. Sorry but for $200K you can buy 2 Hurco 5 axis machines and for a little more you can go buck wild. Its basically a small foot print, small travel machine with 2 rotary tables and Mazak's control.

I seen in a trade mag a new Haas 5-axis vmc. I mean _all_ new. Appeared to be built like the high-end Japanese machines using gantry design and integrated trunion table.

Boss was just in Japan last week. He was telling me about a new variaxis model that is NOT a full 5 axis. Has .001 degree positioning on both rotary axes & pricing under 200k.
Makes a lot of sense since a lot ppl are mainly doing 3+2 axis work.

That machine is new Mazak Variaxis J-500.
4 axis simultaneously and tilt (A) axis 0,001 degree index (4+1)
same base casting and variaxis standart spectifications

Back