What's new
What's new

Old QT10 Turret alignment. Need help

mmurray70

Stainless
Hi guys, I have an old QT10 with horizontal turret and its out of alignment a little. Anybody have any suggestion on how to align this setup? The manual for the machine can be seen here: mazak t1 maintenance manual.pdf - Google Drive

The manual goes through the process of removing turret on page 40-47, and briefly talks about alignment, but doesn't show what to adjust. Also theres some detail drawings of the turret on page 121-129.

Im guessing I need to rotate some part of the curvic coupling right? This is part 15 on page 122. But I only see one coupling? Is it possible the mating part is the turret itself on this old machine? They do call item 15 "high index coupling A" so maybe there is a part B, but they dont mention it.

Also I dont see holes to loosen anything in the turret. What am I supposed to do? Maybe remove turret, loosen curvic couple bolts and lightly tighen them, replace turret/tap it straight, the remove again to tighten properly. Will this work? Is there a better way? Am I likely to damage wiper on this old machine? Thanks

Good news, I pulled a toolholder today just to be sure there wasnt any extra bolts underneath and there are extra bolts that are not shown in manual. And they look to be inline with curvic coupling. So is it just a matter of loosening these 4 bolts and tapping it back to straight? Please confirm if anybody knows for sure.

I cant believe these holes were not shown in the diagrams?? I was trying to get my head around this by reading manual before starting and this had me really confused.

Attachments

• 20181208_102223.jpg
    20181208_102223.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 161
Good news, I pulled a toolholder today just to be sure there wasnt any extra bolts underneath and there are extra bolts that are not shown in manual. And they look to be inline with curvic coupling. So is it just a matter of loosening these 4 bolts and tapping it back to straight? Please confirm if anybody knows for sure.

I cant believe these holes were not shown in the diagrams?? I was trying to get my head around this by reading manual before starting and this had me really confused.

I guess you just follow manual until you see high index coupling , page 3-29. there you see some bolts. if you release them, you can probably move it a bit ( hope there are no dowels)

I dont see second part of high index coupling, it must be either turret itself or bolted to the turret.

I guess you just follow manual until you see high index coupling , page 3-29. there you see some bolts. if you release them, you can probably move it a bit ( hope there are no dowels)

I dont see second part of high index coupling, it must be either turret itself or bolted to the turret.

What I dont understand is how are you supposed to align the turret straight if it must be taken off to get at adjusting bolts? How do you check if its straight when the turret is not on the machine. I cant believe they didnt think of this.

I have a small update. I pulled the other 3 outside turning holders off and found that there are only 2 of these hidden bolts. And they are not actually bolts, just plugs with a counterbore and small hole below. Possibly lubricating ports? Certainly not used to adjust turret. So I still dont see any other way of adjust it without removing turret.

But on a brighter note, I do have a little bit of good news. I was curious if all the ID holders were off the same amount (meaning turret was out) or if just certain ones were out. So I put a long bar in each pocket and dialed about 5" of it. And after indicating all 4, I found one to be perfect, one within a few thou, and the other 2 were out a mile. So at this point it kinda looks like the individual holders may be off more then the turret. I have 2 good pockets that I can use for drills/reamers so this will probably work well enough for me as it is, I may just leave it. If anybody does have more info on how to adjust this style turret please post it.

I concur. Page 3-29 looks like just the bottom half of the coupling.
The upper half must have been removed with the turret for that photo.

The coupling must bolt to the turret just like the later machines.
Turret and coupling require different steels with different heat-treatment.
(That coupling is fairly hard and the turret is fairly soft).

Those plugs in the corners under the tool holders are probably the ones you want.
That is the way the vertical turret machines like my 1986 QT-10 work.
I can't imagine this one being much different.

What I dont understand is how are you supposed to align the turret straight if it must be taken off to get at adjusting bolts? How do you check if its straight when the turret is not on the machine. I cant believe they didnt think of this.

I have a small update. I pulled the other 3 outside turning holders off and found that there are only 2 of these hidden bolts. And they are not actually bolts, just plugs with a counterbore and small hole below. Possibly lubricating ports? Certainly not used to adjust turret. So I still dont see any other way of adjust it without removing turret.

But on a brighter note, I do have a little bit of good news. I was curious if all the ID holders were off the same amount (meaning turret was out) or if just certain ones were out. So I put a long bar in each pocket and dialed about 5" of it. And after indicating all 4, I found one to be perfect, one within a few thou, and the other 2 were out a mile. So at this point it kinda looks like the individual holders may be off more then the turret. I have 2 good pockets that I can use for drills/reamers so this will probably work well enough for me as it is, I may just leave it. If anybody does have more info on how to adjust this style turret please post it.

Remove those plugs and try indexing the turret one position at a time. On the later vertical turret machines like mine, you have two plugs like that, and you have to index the turret to access each pair of fasteners.

My memory says mine were M8 socket-head cap screws. So, 6mm hex key. Your hex key has to pass through the turret, then down through the upper half of the coupling, then down into the counter-bore in the lower half of the coupling to hit each screw. It takes a fairly long hex key, they're way down in there.

I believe what you're doing is actually adjusting your LOWER coupling ring on your machine.

Just try to index one position at a time and check down through the plug-holes with a bright light.

on some of those old turrets there were taper pins to the curvick ring under those plugs you talk about.
you are on the right track about remove,loosen,replace,set,remove,tighten.
if you sweep the turning tool pocket up and down in -x- you can get an idea of radial error.
a test indicator sweep end to end on the surface a turn tool sets on should have very little taper/t.i.r..
if it's less than .oo1
run the shit out of it.
you have to pull the turret to make sure the pins are out of the cervix couple.
I never put them back in, I suppose you may give up s tint bit of rigidity but from then on as ll you have to do is loosen the center bolts on the "high index" coupling (the 6 bolt circle under the center cap) and beat the thing with s bfh and an aluminum slug to put it back on center.

I just indexed the turret around and you guys are right, there are bolts in other positions. The turret rotates 90 degrees each time so I can only see 4 places. There are 2 bolts, and the other 2 positions its hard to tell whats going on. Sort of looks like a pin in one, and nothing in the other. I guess there are several other bolts in between, probably have to pull covers and turn turret motor slowly by hand with power off to reach them I guess?

Im not sure what to do now. I sort of want to pull it apart and see if I can fix the two pockets that are out, but a big part of me is screaming to not fix what isnt broke lol. Really I can work with the two straight pockets that I have, the ones that are out will still be fine for boring/threading, they are still the right height in this horizontal setup. I fear if I take it apart I risk damaging something else and parts are obviously not going to be available for this machine either. The manual specifically says something about the adjustment of turret nut needs to be perfect or damage to clamping mechanism will occur. Plus you got a 35 year old wiper in there that may not be easy to reinstall without damage, and may not be easy to find a replacement. I have a fair bit of work coming up for the machine too. I think considering everything at this point its probably best I leave it. I appreciate all the help again. If I happen to knock one of the 2 straight pockets out someday, I got a good idea of what needs to be done now anyway.

your right
if it will do what you want
"run them piss out of" (quote from a qt8 t2 quality print out that was all zeros. full quote was "perfect!!! run them piss out of !!"
I can just see the little guy all smiles after checking machines day after day and running into one dead nuts top to bottom.)

and don't worry so much about that wiper
its worn out any way
and it not that easy to tear them up

Yeah your probably right, could be deteriorated from age. Not from use though. This old machine is almost like new even though shes 35 years old lol. Spent its whole life in a trade school doing a couple small projects a year. The turret has taken a few bumps, but very little actual use. Machine still even had original paint below chuck and around chip pan when I got it. I hope the controller holds out for another few years.

Thanks again for the advice from everyone.

My QT10 should have turret aligned as well, looking
for instructions too.

Do you have the horizontal turret like mine or vertical? If you do take it apart, please take some pics along the way and post them, might be a help to somebody.

Do you have the horizontal turret like mine or vertical? If you do take it apart, please take some pics along the way and post them, might be a help to somebody.

Vertical with 6 boring bar holder and 6 slots for OD tool.

I made short video that shows tapered pin locations.

Back